99 v6 5 speed to v8 swap - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
Regular

99 v6 5 speed to v8 swap

Okay so first let me go ahead and say PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, DO NOT TELL ME TO BUY A V8 CAR. I have TRIED multiple times over this year to sell my car for that very reason, but no one wants it for some reason and everyone that does is mentally challenged trying to ask $500 for it. And yes I have tried multiple sites and Facebook.

I'd like to put in a 4.6 or a 5.0 or if there's another motor that might be easier that's work too, I just want 8 cylinders. This v6 exhaust noise is killing me. Not to mention how hard I have to push it to keep up with a v8.

Anyways, i would like to know what parts can I keep in my car besides the rear end, transmission, and obviously the motor. And what parts will I NEED to find. I have access to a cherry picker so removing and installing the motor shouldn't be a huge problem. The shop I work at wI'll let me use some tools if needed (but my boss won't let
Me use the lift or shop space to do it) do I'll be doing this back yard.
So a list of what I'll be needing, any tips (again do not tell me to sell for a v8 or to get an older car, I do not want or really like anything behind the new edge and that's why I want to swap)
And if you have any parts sitting around you'd sell, let me know.
Thank you all in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 11:23 AM
Enthusiast

do a search, this has been covered numerous times on numerous forums.

post #3 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97Dustang View Post
do a search, this has been covered numerous times on numerous forums.
Everything I've seen has been spotty and some say do something this way then another thread/forum will say do the same thing this way. That's why I want it here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Will a 4.6 motor/computer/ rear end / transmission and wiring work in my Mustang? Found someone selling a 1999 expedition pretty cheap
post #5 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 12:37 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Computer and wiring need to be from a mustang. As does the rear end.
Your v6 transmission will also not work. Easiest way to do the swap is to find a wrecked donor car.

Turbo Build Thread
post #6 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSix View Post
Computer and wiring need to be from a mustang. As does the rear end.
Your v6 transmission will also not work. Easiest way to do the swap is to find a wrecked donor car.
Okay so I can use the motor and transmission from the expedition then?
And yea I kind figured the v6 tranny wouldnt.
Could you tell me what I would need from said donor? Thanks a ton for replying man
post #7 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 01:58 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcarloslol View Post
Could you tell me what I would need from said donor? Thanks a ton for replying man
The motor may work, but I do not think the trans will, and the motor is set up for a truck/SUV and will not drive how you want on a passenger car.

As fora donor car, buy a complete car that way you can swap anything you need over. Allthough the methods may be different in the various threads out there, the parts lists should be pretty complete.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

DD: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60') on 93 octane tune/CAI only. SAE corrected: 369.4/451.4 on E20, full Bolt On
post #8 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
Quote:
The motor may work, but I do not think the trans will, and the motor is set up for a truck/SUV and will not drive how you want on a passenger car.

As fora donor car, buy a complete car that way you can swap anything you need over. Allthough the methods may be different in the various threads out there, the parts lists should be pretty complete.
Alright cool thanks for theverything input. Whats different from the truck to cart motor? Because there's been people saying to swap the 4.2 v6 into the Mustang because it's "easier" but I want the experience and want to do this. If they trick motor works why wouldn't the expedition? Isn't everything controlled within the computer which will be from a mustang? Not trying to argue just wondering.
And what transmissions are compatible with the 4.6 and 5.0?
The reason I'm asking here is because methods are spotty. That's what I was getting at
post #9 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Alright cool thanks for theverything input. Whats different from the truck to cart motor? Because there's been people saying to swap the 4.2 v6 into the Mustang because it's "easier" but I want the experience and want to do this. If they trick motor works why wouldn't the expedition? Isn't everything controlled within the computer which will be from a mustang? Not trying to argue just wondering.
And what transmissions are compatible with the 4.6 and 5.0?
The reason I'm asking here is because methods are spotty. That's what I was getting at
The blocks are the same from car to truck to suv, but the internals are a bit different. The cams for one are a major difference between cars and trucks/SUVs as the truck/SUV needs a lot more low end torque and minimal high end, where as for the car, you want balanced low end and high end, or more high end.

The 4.2 swap is a good one, and one I am going to do once I have the time to drop my engine in, but you basically just use the block and crank, and use the rest from the 3.8 (cams, etc.).

While the computer is what controls everything over all, the wiring harnesses can be different from vehicle model to vehicle model, so that poses an issue using the expedition motor with a mustang computer. Along with that, different vehicles have different upper engine/intake configurations, such as the side the throttlebody is on, etc.

For transmissions, the Auto is a 4R70W and can be used on V8 or V6, but you have a 5 speed. I believe the TR3650 is what you would want to use for your application. It is the 5 spd from the GTs and Mach 1. For a lot more $$ and a lot more headache you could also do a 6 speed swap from a cobra (T56) but that is a lot of work that isn't really worth it for your application.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

DD: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile (1.8 60') on 93 octane tune/CAI only. SAE corrected: 369.4/451.4 on E20, full Bolt On
post #10 of 14 Old November 7th, 2016, 09:13 PM
MOAR BOOST

Garage
Idk what transmission is in an expedition but I don't believe it works. Derf is correct about the motors, it will physically work but isn't ideal for a mustang.

The v6 automatic transmission does NOT bolt up to a 4.6. The 4r70w is an integrated bellhousing and the bell pattern is different from the 3.8 to 4.6.
An automatic transmission from a 5.0 mustang will also not work, as the 5.0 has the same bell pattern as the v6, which, like I said, is different than the 4.6 modular motor.

For the 4.6 you can run either a t45, or a tr3650. The tr3650 is the better transmission. T56 will also work but they are pretty expensive.

You need the wiring harness from a mustang, as like derf said, the sensors and such are different from the mustang harness. I'm sure you could make it work if you had a wiring schematic and feel like changing some shit, but it would be more of a hassle than it is worth.

You will also need to swap the radiator, the radiator overflow system, the AC lines, and the vacuum assisted brake booster to the hydroboost system that the v8 has. The vacuum brake booster on the v6 is too big and won't fit with a 4.6.

You will also need a driveshaft from a v8 mustang, or atleast the correct transmission side yoke, I believe they are the same length u joint to u joint otherwise.

Turbo Build Thread
post #11 of 14 Old November 8th, 2016, 01:09 AM
Enthusiast

Short answer is you're going to have to buy a complete V8 car one way or the other. Now you can take the easy road and sell the sixer and buy a GT and just deal with some restoration and maintenance OR the more difficult side is to use said V8 as a donor and dump pretty much everything into your sixer chassis. Harnesses, ECUs (PATS is tied to the gauge cluster), Engine/Transs, radiator as mentioned, etc. etc.

Quote:
Idk what transmission is in an expedition but I don't believe it works. Derf is correct about the motors, it will physically work but isn't ideal for a mustang.
4R70W Truck. Expeditions were V8 automatics only. No 4.3 stick option available like the F150.

__

04 F250SD 4x4 6.0 PSD ---02 3.8L V6 Pony Procharger in progress ---90 BMW 535i

SMR #530-----Fobra Club Member #2-----Silver Sixxer Club Member #1
post #12 of 14 Old November 9th, 2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG47 View Post
Short answer is you're going to have to buy a complete V8 car one way or the other. Now you can take the easy road and sell the sixer and buy a GT and just deal with some restoration and maintenance OR the more difficult side is to use said V8 as a donor and dump pretty much everything into your sixer chassis. Harnesses, ECUs (PATS is tied to the gauge cluster), Engine/Transs, radiator as mentioned, etc. etc.

Quote:
4R70W Truck. Expeditions were V8 automatics only. No 4.3 stick option available like the F150.

__
So I'm just curious, did you even take the tone to read my post? I clearly said I've been TRYING to sell ,and I do not want to just up and buy one. I need experience doing so. Learning odds and ends on the way.
post #13 of 14 Old December 16th, 2016, 07:48 PM

Looking to do the same. There will be a lot of work to do unless You make it a dedicated track car and get pre made harnesses for whatever engine/trans combo you get.
post #14 of 14 Old January 21st, 2017, 04:35 PM
Regular

If you're doing a 3.8L to a 4.6L then

Complete engine - pan to throttle body
Throttle cable
Air intake
MAF
Engine accessories w all brackets, lines, wiring, hoses
Motor mounts
Complete exhaust
Radiator & hoses
Fan
Overflow
EEC with harness
All engine wiring harnesses
Dash harness (?)
Speedo cluster
CCRM (constant control relay module)
Hydroboost brake booster with all lines - the vacuum booster is too big and will not clear the 4.6

Transmisson - You need a 4.6 transmission. They had 4.6 specific bellhousings built into the case..... even on the manual transmissions.
Flywheel and clutch for T-45 and 3650 manuals
Flexplate for 4.6 auto trans 4R70W
Driveshaft - 4.6 has a specific yoke that is not the same as any 3.8 yokes. Tubes are the same length, in case you want to swap only the yoke.

Credit goes to V6 to V8 swap FAQ- Newbies Read Here First! - Ford Mustang Forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page