cheap 2000 3.8L 5-speed convertible build and problems - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old May 8th, 2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to quikstang2
cheap 2000 3.8L 5-speed convertible build and problems

I've had 5 fox bodies and said I would never get another Mustang. I have had three 3.8L cars and said I would never get another one. I've also had two convertibles (Mustang & Miata) and said I would never get another one.

Well... a 3.8L convertible 5-speed popped up locally for $500 and I bought it last night. (Will someone please buy it from me?) It fought us. It really wanted to sit in that spot on the dude's driveway until it rotted away, but I refused to let it die, for now. It's been a few months since I sold my second car and I've been incessantly looking for something else, but I don't have much cash to spend. I wanted something I was somewhat familiar with so I wasn't learning something completely new. The goal with this car was to have something I could register and insure when my brother is on leave so he has something to drive. I also needed something that they would let me autocross. (They won't allow the Jeep.) I don't know what other racing I will get into, if anything, but I'm starting at the lowest barrier to entry for now. I know it's not the ideal car to start with, but I couldn't argue with the price.

Current known issues:
-silver paint flaking off (does this count as mange?)
-won't crank when the key turns to start (I think there is a bad ground, had something similar with the Miata)
-PO said the fuel sender is bad
-air bag covering is cracked (I'm hoping the Ranger airbag bolts in)
-brakes are essentially locked up and rusted
-top came unstitched above the glass rear window (I'll probably just keep the top down)
-shifter needs a rebuild
-a couple little rust spots and other general issues you'd find in an 18 year old car that hasn't been maintained

It fought us all last night, so I didn't end up getting pictures. I'll take some tonight. Any tips, tricks, or links you have for the problems I've listed, I'll appreciate the help. Otherwise, I'll start searching and reading after work. I just wanted to get the build thread introduced.

2000 Ford Mustang convertible 3.8L 5-speed
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport 3.6L 6-speed (daily)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old May 10th, 2018, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I got a battery cable repair kit for the ground cable at O'Reilly, since the positive looks good enough for now. I might chop that end off and repair it soon too. I got slightly further with it. I heard a relay pop when I tried to start it, and then everything was fairly dead after that. Prior to that, the mileage displayed and a lot of the other warning lights behaved normally, which they weren't really doing before. So I think there's still a bad ground somewhere, or I need to clean those cables some more. Also, I'm pretty sure I heard the fuel sender running. So that might not be bad.

As promised, I got a picture of the car. It's cramped in the garage with all the house renovations going on, so this is the best I can do for now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2000mustang.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	202073  

post #3 of 6 Old May 18th, 2018, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I took the radio (and facory CD player) out. A couple days later I hooked the battery up for some reason and now it's turning over. I haven't gotten it to fire, but I've made progress by doing nothing. Weird, right?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old May 21st, 2018, 01:14 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
I finally got someone to lend a hand with starter fluid, and it ran! I'll be going through the fuel system electrical this week, and investigating the condition of the fuel system itself.

I have no idea it went from the relay shutting down the circuit to running without me making any changes. Truly bizarre.

post #5 of 6 Old May 29th, 2018, 01:17 AM
Regular

I had an issue with a 99 mustang I purchased no crank, and no start condition. It ended up being the fuel pump driver module, and the fuel pump was bad along with an aftermarket anti-theft system. I replaced both and removed the aftermarket anti-theft, and I have had no issues ever since. However the car sits most of the time now. Good luck getting it running.

3.8L Lincoln Locked MustangClutch burned
Now daily driving my 3.8L Auto Mustang
post #6 of 6 Old October 17th, 2018, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
six shooter

Garage
Forgot to check in... The car runs. All I changed was the fuel pump. There might be an electrical drain somewhere, and a bad ground or two. This thing is much rustier than it should be.

Anyways, I'll post back when I get some other things cleaned up. I'm looking at what a 5.0 (SBF) swap would take right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page