Modded Mustang Forums banner

01 Cobra leaky rear diff help

973 views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  04GTAMPA 
#1 ·
my rear end has started leaking rather badly so i took it to the mechanic that resealed it last season and found out all he did was silicone it (which is what the previous owner did and the reason it was leaking in the first place) and didnt use a gasket :mad: ... so, my cobra is yet again on jack stands (has turned into a garage queen and im not happy about it) and i went to drop the rear diff when I realized it appears i have to drop the whole brace in order to make enough clearance for the cover to drop down. Is what im seeing right?! Ford had to have made it easier than this but then again, engineers dream=mechanics worst nightmare. Any procedures or advice is welcome. If none, ill continue cussing and slaving away until i get it done, whether it be me having to drop the whole IRS set up or not haha. Look forward to replies as im hopin to get it done tonight and back up tomorrow, Thanks in advance

also, if theres already a well detailed how-to thread, id be more than happy to get a web address and follow it

#2 ·
same happened to me when i changed the stock cover with a trick flow one i used a gasket and silicone and it leaked, then friends told me dont use gasket only use silicone and sure enough it didnt leak no more...

but off course i have sra which is easier then the irs but yet again dont really know much about it, hopefully someone chimes in to help you out

#3 ·
thats crazy that it leaked with the gasket and silicone both but not with just the silicone. IDK why in the world mines leakin then cause it was jsut redone last summer and i havent put 7k on it, plus from what i can tell (i can spin the case just not remove it) and considering where/how its leaking, I'd say the silicone just went bad but im not sure how in that short a mount of use :/ ol well, more hours slaving in the garage, whats new haha. Wouldnt be worth it if it were easy i guess!!

#4 ·
Gasket.... and maybe rtv I don't remember but also using loctite is a plus..

MY rear end was re-built 2 months ago and it's being re-sealed now.....although I stripped the threads out of bolt and broke all the others loose....by driving it.

#6 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.