Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been cruisin' the site for a month or so. I did some searching and this may have been discussed but I didn't have much luck finding it. I recently purchased an 01 Cobra. It is in great shape and I was curious to see what people had recommended for manual transmission fluid. It has the 3650 in it and it shifts great but I'm thinking a change in fluid might make it shift smoother. Thanks for any suggestions and help!

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
pennzoil synchromesh or gm synchromesh is what a lot of guys put in them to help with the shifting issues some have.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
i use b&m trickshift pretty good stuff

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
I use Valvoline Mercon V

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the responses and especially the link. Thas has some great info! My 1-2 shift is definitely the one that could be better. No grinding or anything but clunky. I hope it's an easy job. Going to try and tackle it this weekend. Thanks again.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I replaced the fluid this past weekend with the pennzoil synchromesh. It definitely shifts smoother. It's not amazing but definitely better. I also did the 3 quarts and put in six ounces of the fourth which I believe is the right calculations to get to 3.2. After almost a week of driving it...the thing that I notice now more than before is fifth gear is louder. I don't hear any noise except in fifth gear and it is a sporatic but pretty consistent crinkling sound almost. I may be asking an impossible question with my interpretation of the sound but just curious if lowering the level of the fluid could cause this sound to be magnified and whether I should add a little bit more or what may help? Has anyone else experienced a noisy fifth gear. I don't think it is anything critical or I wouldn't be using it but I don't believe it rolled off the floor like this. Thanks again for all the help!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts