Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2001 GT 5 speed used off of Craigs List, 2 weeks later the clutch exploded at 1am on a Saturday night. I looked up the Vin code says I the early 10.5 clutch and PP. Order in from American Muscle, tore car apart. The clutch disk came apart in about 15 pieces. I put all old parts for the scrap guy. Wrong clutch PP wont bolt up i have the 11" clutch. So I called American Muscle again, as I was on phone I seen junk yard yellow paint all over tranny. So I figured some one swapped with the late 01 Tranny. So they sent me another clutch 11" Ram HDX for the late, for the same money ($80.00 more) and no frt. It comes in rite size clutch but mounting holes (6.25 apart) wont line up when I mount on dowel pins... Called them again they have no idea whats wrong, they want me to buy a $300.00 flywheel. Will this flywheel bolt to my car???

Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Depends, what flywheel do you have? It's either a 6 or 8 bolt. Should be a 6 bolt since they stopped doing 8 bolts in 2000. But, That will tell you which flywheel you need. But none the less it sounds like the clutch you have now should work just fine. If the holes line up but the dowel pins dont, remove the dowel pins. To remove the dowel pins, put a vise grip on them, twist while you pull. They will come out.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
I think you should be fine

How is it going man. Let me share a little insight with you on my past experience with the issue. When I first purchased my 2001 Mustang from 3rd party, I went ahead and purchased a King Cobra Clutch with out knowing the proper size that I needed. I believe my vehicles current flywheel calls for an 11 inch clutch whereas I purchased a 10.5 inch Clutch. My mechanic told me that they would not match up, but I was in luck. He was able to take the flywheel to Clutchmasters and they were able to drill holes to allow the fitment of the 10.5 clutch and resurface it while they were at it for about $80 - $100 bucks. I believe my flywheel is a 6 bolt pattern as well just to throw that in there. Try giving your local clutch shops a call to see if they can do that. I have been driving my vehicle with the setup for approximately 20K + miles and have not had any issues.

Though one thing I would like to point out is that I am able to pop my clutch without any issues and give it a go through all the gears, but for some reason, I haven't been able to figure it out yet. When I am turning onto a freeway on-ramp for example, I slam on the gas and the rpm's rise without any screetching of the tires. I am unsure if my clutch is slipping or my differential is the culprit. It seems to happen only when I am turning and the rear wheels have to travel slightly different speeds and the inside wheel is slightly elevated higher than the outside wheel.

Hope this helps, keep us updated! :)

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
If only we would have known prior to all the exchanging!

If you really were planning on buying a new flywheel, then go for it since you are in the same area and you will have some sort of performance benefit, but personally, I would just have your local clutch shop take care of the fitment for you and waaaallllaaaaa!

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
ford96gtconv,

I don't want to keep throwing parts at your Mustang, so lets see if we can figure out what's going on here! First, can you check to see how many bolts are in your flywheel? This will give us an idea of what clutch is suppose to mate with it. Next, look for a tag on the transmission with a code or a serial number in the casting. Since the transmission has some yellow "junk yard paint" I want to verify that it's the correct transmission and not a similar T45 or T3650 that isn't out of a Mustang.

Get back to me and we'll work this out. I definitely don't want you to purchase anything you don't need!

Shane

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
flywheel

How is it going man. Let me share a little insight with you on my past experience with the issue. When I first purchased my 2001 Mustang from 3rd party, I went ahead and purchased a King Cobra Clutch with out knowing the proper size that I needed. I believe my vehicles current flywheel calls for an 11 inch clutch whereas I purchased a 10.5 inch Clutch. My mechanic told me that they would not match up, but I was in luck. He was able to take the flywheel to Clutchmasters and they were able to drill holes to allow the fitment of the 10.5 clutch and resurface it while they were at it for about $80 - $100 bucks. I believe my flywheel is a 6 bolt pattern as well just to throw that in there. Try giving your local clutch shops a call to see if they can do that. I have been driving my vehicle with the setup for approximately 20K + miles and have not had any issues.

Though one thing I would like to point out is that I am able to pop my clutch without any issues and give it a go through all the gears, but for some reason, I haven't been able to figure it out yet. When I am turning onto a freeway on-ramp for example, I slam on the gas and the rpm's rise without any screetching of the tires. I am unsure if my clutch is slipping or my differential is the culprit. It seems to happen only when I am turning and the rear wheels have to travel slightly different speeds and the inside wheel is slightly elevated higher than the outside wheel.

Hope this helps, keep us updated! :)
Well you hit it rite on the head, sounds like we both have FRANKENSTANGS, AM sent me out the 11" for the late model Mustang, I sent the 10.5 back to AM. My flywheel has 8 threaded bolts, my crank has 6 holes.
I would like to have Flywheel resurfaced and find the correct PP/Clutch kit for this car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
920 Posts
From what I've gathered, it seems like you have a strange bolt pattern on your current flywheel. We've sold tons of these Ram clutches and haven't had any issues with mounting to the factory flywheels. It makes me think your flywheel is from another year Mustang like a 05-10 or another Ford causing the current clutch to not line up.

Either way, I just wanted straighten some info out and make things right for you. We DO have a flywheel that will fit your current 88951HDX clutch. I'm sorry for any confusion you had over the phone, but the CS Rep was definitely off on his specs. We have the RAM Billet Steel Flywheel for the 6bolt crank and a 11" clutch for $309.99 that will work with your Mustang. Since you've gone through so much hassle, I'd be happy to hook you up with this RAM Billet Steel clutch for $285.00. This should take some of the edge off the cost and will definitely end your flywheel problems!

Shoot me a PM if you're interested and will get things rolling ASAP!

Shane

1 - 8 of 8 Posts