Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
2001 DUB GT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so on christmas i was driving my 01 gt to have dinner with the family and i noticed that my car was jerking and losing power. i turned town the stereo and noticed a awful rattling/grinding noise. i crawled the car to my families place and my uncle took a listen to it and said his best guess (after working on cars for 35+ years) is the bearings on the crank. well i crawled it back to my place and now my question is... WHAT NOW? either i can attempt to tear it apart and fix just that or i can find a new block. i found a used one with three bad pistons but its already torn down so replacing them wouldnt be that bad. what are some thoughts. does anyone know of anyone or anyplace in the las vegas area that may have another block for sale. or maybe someone that can help me tear down and fix it? i love my stang and refuse to drive anything else...

thanks in advance

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
I would take yours apart. It has to come out of the vehicle anyway and can be done in a couple hours. Inspect whats wrong with it and go from there. May be worth fixing yours of may be worth buying a whole new block. You cant really tell until you found all the problems.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Coming up with a budget should be your first priority.

that will help set you off in the right direction.

if your budget is tight you might try finding a complete running engine with low milage, if you have the funds then you can start deciding whether or no to re build or buy a short/long block.

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
Coming up with a budget should be your first priority.

that will help set you off in the right direction.

if your budget is tight you might try finding a complete running engine with low milage, if you have the funds then you can start deciding whether or no to re build or buy a short/long block.
Very true. However, if your blocks fine there are MANY people out there that tore their engine apart to upgrade everything, leaving a chance to pick up perfectly fine parts for cheap. Only downfall is if your in a time bind this MAY take time to get everything.

·
2001 DUB GT
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks. i have been all over the internet looking for short/long blocks. as far as time.. this is my daily so it sucks to be with out a car. as far as money shits super tight right now but my car is my priority. @02gt kev i saw a explorer block for 350 and its just the block. would that be a improvment over the stock block in the 01 gt? and if so is it a direct bolt up?

·
Lexus FTW
4,411 Posts
I think those are the aluminum ones. If it is than yes it would be an upgrade (50 or so lbs lighter). But you said your on a budget. If you spun a rod (like you think) then your block should be fine. spend the 350 on parts you need

·
11.5:1 or GTFO
12,899 Posts
Coyoteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

·
Commoner
352 Posts
I did a complete rebuild on mine for 1700 but Im not sure how tight of a budget your on

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
We'll need to know your goals, mechanic skill, and budget first.

You've got lots of options.
You can flat out rebuild it. That'll be like having a practically new motor. You can even upgrade it significantly.
You can buy a shortblock, which is a big upgrade but pricey.
You can just throw in a used longblock. Cheap and quick.
There's a couple variations of that as well. You can get a standard iron block 2v, you can get an aluminum 2v out of an Explorer, or you can get an aluminum 4v.

·
Run What You Brung
706 Posts
go ahead and buy a beater... that's my advice
That's my advice. I am looking for a cheap small truck (preferably ex cab ranger) so I can build my GT an engine. I seriously love my 01, and I want to do it right, and ONCE. (building my engine)

I'm leaning toward a high compression N/A combo. Stumbled across a link here that interested me and it looks intriguing

·
Registered
257 Posts
Youre going to be disappointed in how much you spent for a high compression engine build for the gains. Unless you did it cheap and milled the heads down only! I would just take it apart, buy an internal kit, throw it together and be done.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
I did a complete rebuild on mine for 1700 but Im not sure how tight of a budget your on
Off topic, but your car looks nasty. What springs are those?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts