Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Man, it has been awhile since i posted, how is everybody doing? <-thats an actual question that should be answered as well.

ok, i pull up to my house, and turn the car off. it turns off but i can still hear it as if its on. i turn the key back over and it starts up. i do this two more times with the same effect. when the key is in off position it still sounds almost like the car is on. after those two times i turn it off, and its completely off. i run in the house, run out, and the car wont start. open the hood, there is smoke on the passenger side. i jack it up, determine the smoke was coming from the starter area. take off the starter and the wire next to the ground was burnt and the starter was completely fried. replaced the starter,brand new one, tested the new one while i was at the store to confirm it was a good one, it was, got home, put the starter on there. car still would not start. tried to jump it, still nothing. when you turn the key over and then go to turn it off, the starter clicks just once. checked the starter fuse. its good. same with the relay by the battery. im stumped and without a car. anyone have any ideas?

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Lol this is also my first time posting since last week or a little more my laptop didnt wanted to start, I'm glad HP had free programs to help me out, its working now. :D

Have you checked the starter?
Edit: you said you it didnt start after a jump start was the car low on charge?

·
Registered
516 Posts
just recently got myself a 2000 3.8 Mustang.. still learning alot about them but is there a Solenoid switch on these much like the older mustangs?

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
As 6er said check to make sure that you're getting power to bot points on the starter and not just the starter solenoid.

You may have a fried some wires, or burnt the relay.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Possibly there is something wrong with the ignition switch. You said it sounded like the engine was still running after you shut it off. Is it possible the starter was running continuously? I had that happen on a Honda Accord once and it burned up the starter and the large wire to the starter. I would try replacing the ignition switch and any damaged wiring.

·
2k3 Blown Mach 1
2,183 Posts
Lol^ that's what I thought I wrote "ignition switch insteado of starter''

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i could try ignition switch, im skeptical of that though as the next thing to try, ill check the voltage to the points on the car, then check out the switch.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
update: i looked at everything, and through observation, i located something under front passenger spash-guard by the tire. a multi-function relay box. while the ignition in the car was on, my dash lights were, radio, everything worked. i lightly, lightly tapped that little box cause it was clicking when i tried to start it, and the whole entire car goes out. upon looking at that box, i notice some bolts missing, and the plastic clips on each side of the connector to it, two were broken, so i think the owner of the car before me was messing with it before. replacing that and hoping for the best.

·
The soul stealing Ginger
5,864 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay, update, that multi-function relay box does not seem to do the trick, i replaced it, and the car is still doing the exact same thing. there is power to the starter and solenoid, when the key is turned on, the radio does not play, no lights on the dash, no headlights, but i have the dinging if the door is open, windows are not working. basically nothing at all except for the dinging. when the key is left in the ignition, and turn on for accesories, a clicking noise comes from the engine, right under the throttle body, i thought TPS, but unpugged it while the ticking was going on, and it continued, when i took off the CAI, and opened the butterfly on the TB, you could hear the ticking more. used a screwdriver, and put it on each fuel injector, but no noise was coming from them. im stumped. anyone have any ideas at all?

·
Banned
636 Posts
It has to be a short somewhere. A ticking noise could be an arc from an exposed wire. Only thing I can think of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts