Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
V8 Muscle!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My GT has a problem with the lights being extremely hazy even after trying some the best stuff on the market for headlight restoration kits. I am unsure if some of the haziness is on the inside of the headlights as well. I think possibly I may need to go over the seals and verify there is no leaks to allow anything inside. Please anyone help out. Thanks

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
Pic up a black housing pair for cheap, generally there's going to be a point of no return in hazing. You can try rubbing oil (any type) on the headlights as an easy fix. It actually does work

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Whitening tooth paste and elbow grease.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Wet sand and try this stuff called NOVUS. It's an industrial plastic polish that is used in high end aquariums, signs etc. I use it on my nearly $7000(just the tank) aquarium and it works miracles!

Just quick hit my headlights yesterday again and look great, again lol.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Wet sand and try this stuff called NOVUS. It's an industrial plastic polish that is used in high end aquariums, signs etc. I use it on my nearly $7000(just the tank) aquarium and it works miracles!

Just quick hit my headlights yesterday again and look great, again lol.

Thats what happens when you use a glass cleaner mag float on an acrylic tank... or trying to fight bristle worms with a screw driver.

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
Thats what happens when you use a glass cleaner mag float on an acrylic tank... or trying to fight bristle worms with a screw driver.
Haha yes both are bad lol. Bristle worms are always encouraged around here. They really only target dead things so they cleanup quite well. My buddy had a snowflake eel, with a deep sand bed with TONS of bristle worms. The thing got ill and died, and in a day it was completely gone.

I like Malaysian trumpet snails in my FW tanks too lol.

Sometimes pests are the best.

·
Potato
1,159 Posts
Fireworms are what I was thinking. besides I like watching arrow crabs eat BW's. What kind of FW tank?

·
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY
1,920 Posts
I have a few lol

X2 135g tanks one brackish water and one full fresh. All predators. Silver aro, freshwater moray eel, red belly pacu, jaguar Cichlid, marble goby, 3 oscars, ref tail cat, and common pleco

55g freshwater 2 convict Cichlid males, 2 pictus cats and 1 Senegal bichir

35g acrylic hex palludarium
2 giant golden danios, 3 Cory cats, one Raphael cat and a fire belly toad

20g long red ear slider baby

And my pond, x3 koi all over 2.5ft, 2 smaller koi at about 10", 2 channel cats at 8", and a Crappie at 9".

I'm building my 400g setup with a 135g sump for my bigger preds

·
Registered
972 Posts
This is an easy fix. Like stated above. wet sand..

-400 grit (if they are really bad) horizontally sand
-600 vertically
-1000 horiz
-1200 vert
-1500 horiz (make sure you are completely removing all the scuffs from the previous sanding direction. Ex: if you just finished a Horizontal wet sand, by the time you are done with the vertical wet sand you wont be able to tell that i t was ever horizontally sanded)
-Rubbing compound
-Polishing compound and Mcquires plasti X
-and a couple coats of clear coat and they will look brand new.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
i used a 2000 grit sand paper, buffed, repeat..they look brand new now

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
You have plenty of options...

-Quick temporary fix is using different types of oil bases that help the dullness.

-Purchase 3M Headlight Restoration kit for about 20 bucks from local
autoparts store (I have done it a few times, just a bit of a tedious project). Here is a link for an example

-Purchase new headlights and light tint them to prevent future hazing.

Regardless of what you do, likely they will haze again in the future, thanks to the big ball of fire in the sky! :bash:

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
If it is on the inside of the headlight ~ sorry, i dunno...! :screwy:

·
V8 Muscle!
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ya thanks for the suggestion guys they may just be at the point where I need to get replacement ones due to the fact that I have wet sanded them as stated above and applied compounds after to clean them up. After a few hours the haziness appears even though I let them dry in a garage.

·
GT 4.6 SOHC
270 Posts
Sounds like you left your headlights in the oven for 10 + years! :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts