Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I have been throwing the passenger side header o2 code. Today i finally bought a new one. This is the second one in 2 months. Later i got the codes ran and it was throwing the code again. Now I dont think its the actual sensor. it must be something else. I have bbk extensions for the LT headers. Has anyone heard of the extensions being bad? what could be my problem?

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
according to some on mm the 02 sensors are very sensitive. word on the streets is that simply touching the wires and stuff could mess them up (supposedly). are you being careful when installing them?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I heard if you drop them they will break. But have no idea about touching the wires...

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
yea something about the residue on your fingers (supposedly)

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
im not sure if i even believe that myself. i would think that they would be fine.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was very careful. i didnt even touch the part that goes in the exhaust i took off the plastic and stuck it in. someone told me they make a spacer thing that goes on the o2 for aftermarket exhaust because the o2 sticks in too fat and maks it think its running rich. I dont know if i believe that though. anyone heard of that?

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
The O2s are not sensitive to touching them, but can break if you drop them. The actual sensor is behind the metal and is a glass + zirconium cell. Using non OEM O2 sensors can cause problems as well. If you have a custom tune that is not properly calibrated you will see that code. If you have a one sided intake vacuum leak you could see that code. If there is a pre o2 sensor exhaust or header leak you will also see that code.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Well I have been throwing the passenger side header o2 code. Today i finally bought a new one. This is the second one in 2 months. Later i got the codes ran and it was throwing the code again. Now I dont think its the actual sensor. it must be something else. I have bbk extensions for the LT headers. Has anyone heard of the extensions being bad? what could be my problem?
What code(s)? There are at least 20 DTCs that reference the O2 sensors, a number of which represent "other" problems being reported by a properly functioning O2 sensor. I.e. just because the code description says "O2 sensor" doesn't mean you should rush out and replace the indicated unit.

Without knowing which particular code you got it is impossible to provide much guidance as to what the problem might be.

------------------------
The notion that merely touching the sensor or wiring causing problems or failures is just about the silliest thing I've heard so far this year.

As others have said they can be physically damaged by dropping or crushing, however feel free to handle them (with reasonably clean hands) for as long as you like.

The one exception to this is that you should avoid letting the operational end come into contact with silicone, as that will damage the sensor nearly immediately.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
thanx for clearing up the whole touching the wires thing. now i can quiet someone that is a subject matter expert in just about anything. i didnt fully believe but since i hadnt seen it or heard i was hesitant.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
keep us updated whenever you figure it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ill run the codes today and post them up

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay I got the codes ran today the first code is P1131 which is lack of Ho2s bank 1, snesor 1 switches sensor indicates lean. the second one is P1152 lack of Ho2s bank 2, snesor 2 switches sensor indicates rich. So I am pretty sure these are both header O2 sensors, but I dont see how its possible for one to be rich and one to be lean. Anyone know?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay I read it but it still didnt answer me really. I still dont know how to fix the problem. My car runs lean at 5500 rpm and the tuner guy could never fix that problem so i think i have a problem with the fuel pump. would the fuel pump cause this to happen

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The very first thing I'd look at are the extenders, make sure the contacts are clean, dry, and properly connected--pack 'em with dielectric grease when you reconnect.

Swap the left and right sensors and see if the problem stays or follows the sensor.

Check for exhaust leaks on the bank 1 header--aftermarket headers often have sealing problems at the exhaust ports.

I would leave fueling and intake issues at the end of the list of things to focus on, as they would typically affect both banks--however once you've exhausted (no pun intended) the bank specific possibles you'll have to start looking at system wide stuff.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i have a sct programmer but i havent done any dataloging yet. well i know its running lean at 5500 because at the dyno tune they were never able to add more fuel for some reason and it loses power bad at 5500 in 4th gear. wouldnt i be able to hear an exhaust leak?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts