Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, hope this is the right forum for this..

I'm having a rather annoying issue, for the past 3 months or so I've been having a case with the power in my car being completely cutoff when I attempt to start it. It's not every time though, it started off maybe once every couple weeks, but now it's getting more common.

My viper alarm system will unlock the car, make it's chirp, and I'll have interior lights. But, as soon as I put the key in the ignition and turn all the way to start, all power is immediately cut off. No clicks, no attempts to turnover, no interior lights - except for a blinking theft light and a blinking light from my viper alarm system. Now, I'd think this would be a viper-only issue but once the car is dead, If I even just touch and wiggle the ground cable on the battery post, I can get it to start (this works typically, not every time).

I've had the battery replaced, alternator replaced, the alarm system inspected, grounds inspected.

Remember, I have power all the way up to the point of key in the ignition and turning.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I would look in to having PATS disabled, it's not exactly a solution but it would probably help with troubleshooting.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Now, I'd think this would be a viper-only issue but once the car is dead, If I even just touch and wiggle the ground cable on the battery post, I can get it to start (this works typically, not every time).
Bingo. If that connection is clean and tight (you shouldn't be able to wiggle that connection), then replace the ground cable itself. This isn't a PATS or alarm issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tang, I guess I should clarify...the connection to the post is pretty tight, and even the the wire itself is clamped down well...but yeah, if I just touch or tug on the cable itself it usually works...I'll look in to getting the cable itself replaced, that's probably the problem.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
Then the cable is likely corroded inside the insulation and/or terminal end. This isn't an uncommon scenario.

·
M112'd Sixxer
1,703 Posts
Then the cable is likely corroded inside the insulation and/or terminal end. This isn't an uncommon scenario.
+1

Sent from my droid using my fingers.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
^ that could be the problem. That was the problem on my buds mustang. Use baking soda and water to clean it. Use with toothbrush.

·
Wha...?
683 Posts
+1
If that doesn't work, replace the cable and clamp.

·
╚⊙ ⊙╝
14,719 Posts
either replace the battery cable ends or clean them well

my car did the same thing, gave the cable ends a good cleaning and tightened them up and issue is gone

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
^ yup, check basics before the in depth stuff. No point in beating your head against the wall over a blown fuze, loose wire or bad terminals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts