Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Cobra has 57K miles on it and its running good. I still have to replace the air filter but I sprayed the IAC and throttle body so its idling a little better now. Ive got a check engine light which after owning three of these things doesnt surprise me at all. These engines throw codes if the wind blows. Obviously im not a mechanic, so I dont have a diagnostic machine, and I dont know when Ill be able to get it plugged in but until then I wonder if someone who has one of these could tell me what it might be. It runs on 93, daily driven, synthetic oil changes done regularly, everything else under the hood has been there since the car was made. I drive it mildly and it hard shifts obviously with stop-go traffic and 35 mph speed limits but I open it up whenever I can. I planned on getting rid of this car this year but I may have to keep it for another year with the way banks are these days, so i wanna keep it running good. Help appreciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
nothing we can do without having and knowing the codes. you can stop by your local autoparts store, IE... Autozone, Advanced auto, O'Reilys, etcc..., and they will check it for you for free.

·
Not a Rational Car Guy
38,186 Posts
+1

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
+2

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I knew what the code was I wouldnt be asking for help. I was just wonderinh if anyone who has an 03 Cobra that hasnt been gutted and put on steroids or tuned in anyway has gotten this before.

·
2009 ROTY
5,646 Posts
mine threw an iac code after i had pulled out this little plastic L in the pvc line to attempt to make my catch can setup look a little cleaner. i put the L back in, and the light has never been back. and i would not consider my cobra "gutted". its just had some suspension work and the egr deleted. but this issue was before the egr was deleted.

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
If I knew what the code was I wouldnt be asking for help. I was just wonderinh if anyone who has an 03 Cobra that hasnt been gutted and put on steroids or tuned in anyway has gotten this before.
Well considering it could be anything from a bad COP to a loose gas cap, there are thousands of reasons why the light will come on. We have no idea what to tell you. Pull the code and we might be able to help.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
:withhomo the codes will either tell us if its a minor fix to a major fix. Both of which alot of us can shed some light on and possibly save you some money by doing it yourself and avoiding a mechanic

·
Registered
523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I can almost certainly eliminate the IAC cause I remember exactly when this happened, only a few weeks ago on a saturday when I started the car up to go to work it was probably the first near cold (weather wise) start of the season and it was only later that day that I cleaned out the IAC and air assembly. I got a code on my 2001 GT once that was the result of a supposed crack in the fuel filler pipe, which turned out to be crap cause I ignored it, the light went away and it never happened again. My point is I wonder if it was simply the first cold day start that caused it and now its just waiting for me to delete it. i still have to tune the car and should be able to use the predator to delete codes like these, I will get it plugged in before I reply again but im pretty sure its bullshit cause the car is running fine...its getting horrible gas mileage but its running fine.

·
Registered
641 Posts
I have seen IACs crap out after being cleaned. If you let any of the cleaner get in to the solenoid part of the IAC it is possible you loosened some junk in there and its causing it to stick. Seen this before on Lightnings and Cobras that come in to the dealership, I was told by a Sr. Master that supercharged SVT engines are more likely to build up crap in the IAC due to the large ammount of air flow. I wouldnt suggest throwing parts at it.. see if you can get a code.. then go from there..

just my $0.02..

·
Billy Weston
5,076 Posts
Yeah I can almost certainly eliminate the IAC cause I remember exactly when this happened, only a few weeks ago on a saturday when I started the car up to go to work it was probably the first near cold (weather wise) start of the season and it was only later that day that I cleaned out the IAC and air assembly. I got a code on my 2001 GT once that was the result of a supposed crack in the fuel filler pipe, which turned out to be crap cause I ignored it, the light went away and it never happened again. My point is I wonder if it was simply the first cold day start that caused it and now its just waiting for me to delete it. i still have to tune the car and should be able to use the predator to delete codes like these, I will get it plugged in before I reply again but im pretty sure its bullshit cause the car is running fine...its getting horrible gas mileage but its running fine.
LMAO, you can not be cheap with this caliber of a car. It will blow up if there is an issue, especially when you throw a tune on it. You could have a handful of lean codes in there right now and the motor could be a ticking time bomb.

·
Doc
37,101 Posts
A code reader is about $40.00 man..

and a $40.00 code reader is worth its weight in gold. It will tell you ( and clear) any check engine light from 1996 and up.

The cel is there for a reason man. Read the code if you want the help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts