Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
completely stock....what bolt ons would be worth it to get good gains...was thinking about a SC but im not sure anymore so while i decide any mods thatll be good additions to a SC or Turbo in the future?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
it depends on your budget. you can loose alot of money in boltons and such. in the long run buying a sc off the back tends to be a real good bang for the buck

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lets say 1200 on bolt ons??? and so a sc will be better than turbo?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Any type of F/I will give you supplemental gains over bolt ons as you well know. But for a price. There have been many threads over the prices of turbos over blowers or vis versa. Or, for example, nitrous will give you over 285hp. A few people on this site have gone straight F/I and then added the supporting mods.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
im just tryna be on the safe side n dont wanna blow my engine... what can these gts handle without much work?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
i have never built a turbo car but i have seen plenty of high hp ones. only thing that gets me is alot of them are dyno queens that make tons of peak power but are not sized right to pull the best times at the track.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A stock bottom end can handle between 450-470rwhp. Even on the higher end of that sprectrum, your pushing it. If you were to buy a blower with no supporting mods that would put you somewhere around 350-360whp. Plenty of room for supporting mods there.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmm...ive heard people have been problems with belts slippin on sc? n max hp im lookin for in this is 400 nothin more cuz im trying to buy a cobra also while having this car.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
belt slip can be a problem if you run a small pulley for high boost. the stock bottom end wont handle that much boost so it wont be a problem. i know you read the recent post and he will figure it out. trust me in the long run fixing belt slip is a small problem in the big picture.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
cobras can be a budget build but its not as cheap as people think to build them. unfortunatly cobras get placed at another level so a 500 hp cobra is simply a bolt on cobra which wont stand up to the big dog cobra guys. sure on the street 500 hp would send most kids packing there bags and crying to mom about the ass kicking they got but 500 hp cobras dont stand much of a chance to the majority of cobras on the road.

·
MMM JELLO!!!
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hmm thanks for the input gotta put some thought into this now..

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
cobras can be a budget build but its not as cheap as people think to build them. unfortunatly cobras get placed at another level so a 500 hp cobra is simply a bolt on cobra which wont stand up to the big dog cobra guys. sure on the street 500 hp would send most kids packing there bags and crying to mom about the ass kicking they got but 500 hp cobras dont stand much of a chance to the majority of cobras on the road.
stal speaks the truth, i've heard the phrase "pullied cobra" using in the same context as "bolt-on gt"

i think you'd be suprised what a 2v can do with the power you're talking about, especially at the track. they're a a decent amount lighter than a cobra too. the motor is far inferior but it's not all bad for the 2v.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
the 2v motor is user friendly and a great motor for the at home mechanic. parts are much cheaper and in the long run you can make lots of power with a 2v

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
Agreed. Not exactly a budget build. However it is things you'd have to do to a 2v to get to that power level anyways, such as forged internals, stronger transmission, and bigger fuel system.

And a 500hp Cobra is a slow Cobra. The big boys are running 1000+hp TT's.

Personally I think a centri would be the easiest and most budget friendly option. It should get you to your goals and then some. Then if you add bolt ons after that you will see much larger gains. Just pay no attention to Shaun shredding belts. And if you need Cobra pumps for it I might have some. :eek:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts