Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my TOB go out on me, so I decided to do some preventive maintenance( CF DF Clutch, BBK Cable/quadrant/adjuster, and aluminum Flywheel). Well my question comes with the flywheel. I was looking at the Zoom aluminum flywheel but I can't find any site that has the right one for my year(60-3105) but I have been able to find one with all the same specs that is for a 05-07 mustang(60-3107) on SummitRacing. I gave them a call and they told me that 60-3105 was discontinued, so my question is would the one for the 05-07 mustang work for my 04 mustang GT? Any problems that you may foresee?

Zoom Performance Products 60-3107 - Zoom Lightweight Aluminum Flywheels - Overview - SummitRacing.com

·
Registered
403 Posts
As far as i know, and i may be wrong. But anything from 05-09 should be identical. But im not positive. Didnt really help much just throwing my opinion out there. :/

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's pretty much the conclusion I'm coming to.

05-10 have a remote mounted shifter but that doesn't effect what I'm asking about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True but I would really like to only have to drop my tranny once for now if I can help it. I did call and left a message with Zoom about it, so I'm going to wait for a call back from them before i order.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Have you ever had an aluminum flywheel or driven a car with one?

I ask because on a DD there can be a lot of downside to using a very lightweight wheel including requiring more throttle to launch (this is especially noticeable on hills) and a bit of shudder, also a need to work a bit at keeping revs up when shifting. They can also create some "vibration" at idle and lower engine speeds, which is really that the engine's power pulses are not as dampened as with a heavier wheel.

The steel inserts can get chewed up pretty quickly as well (20k to 30k miles is not unusual) and replacing it obviously means pulling it all apart again. Then there is that the replacement was not surfaced mounted in the flywheel. The top manufacturers run very close tolerance, but again it's not unusual to find that things get a bit strange after replacing the insert.

Then there is this from the Centerforce FAQ:

"However Centerforce Does Not Recommend The Use Of Aluminum Flywheels For Street Use."

None of this may apply to your situation, just thought I'd mention it.

I have had ultra-light flywheels in the past, and got a 16lb chromoly Ralco RZ unit when I replaced the clutch in my '03 GT. That's as light as I'd go for a street car...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I look at it as if it breaks I can replace it with a steel or aluminum depending on how long it last. I plan to upgrade my tranny down the road anyway. Thx for bring all that up though.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
Have you ever had an aluminum flywheel or driven a car with one?

I ask because on a DD there can be a lot of downside to using a very lightweight wheel including requiring more throttle to launch (this is especially noticeable on hills) and a bit of shudder, also a need to work a bit at keeping revs up when shifting. They can also create some "vibration" at idle and lower engine speeds, which is really that the engine's power pulses are not as dampened as with a heavier wheel.

The steel inserts can get chewed up pretty quickly as well (20k to 30k miles is not unusual) and replacing it obviously means pulling it all apart again. Then there is that the replacement was not surfaced mounted in the flywheel. The top manufacturers run very close tolerance, but again it's not unusual to find that things get a bit strange after replacing the insert.

Then there is this from the Centerforce FAQ:

"However Centerforce Does Not Recommend The Use Of Aluminum Flywheels For Street Use."

None of this may apply to your situation, just thought I'd mention it.

I have had ultra-light flywheels in the past, and got a 16lb chromoly Ralco RZ unit when I replaced the clutch in my '03 GT. That's as light as I'd go for a street car...

^ I have never had any of those problems with an AL FW. In fact my car acts just like it did with the steel one with the exception of revving quicker

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
^ I have never had any of those problems with an AL FW. In fact my car acts just like it did with the steel one with the exception of revving quicker
That's why I used the word "can" so much--some people have no problems, I think to some extent driving style has a lot to do with it. I have had a couple over the years one lasted well (a Fidanza); and one, a Spec unit, on my '99 GT (now owned by my brother) that was a dismal failure and warped in less than 10k miles, which was just as well as the disc shot out all but one of the dampening springs.

The stock flywheel is 26.5lbs, so the Ralco Chromoly unit I have now is 10.5lbs lighter, a typical aluminum wheel has just a 4lb advantage...

·
Registered
678 Posts
I drove a buddy's big windsor powered fox that had a Spec 3+ with an aluminum flywheel. Even with 500 ft-lbs of torque it took a little extra RPM to get moving. With that said I am using a Spec clutch with an aluminum flywheels and light weight aluminum pressure plate on my engine build but its going to be a street strip car with the emphasis on the strip.

·
Registered
428 Posts
My Fidanza didn't last long. Maybe a year. I also agree with driving style though. I don't know if my "driver mod" was broken during that year :) ... but give one a shot. Won't know how you like them until you try it. Expensive though.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Willing to try just about anything once.

Called Zoom, they still had the 60-3105 (01-04) and told me just to get anyone of their distributors to call. "They would set them straight."

Called Summit racing got them to call and saw they added it to their site. Called Jegs and ordered it for the same price. Plus it will be here next Friday, if shipped Monday.

Alright back on topic for a sec! The differences in the 01-04 and 05-10 T3650 is the size of the flywheel and clutch disc for the ppl who are going to ask the same question as me.

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
my fidanza al fw withstands 20+ 6k rpm launches a year and has been doing so for 3 yrs now

1 - 15 of 15 Posts