Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my buddy has an 04 Taurus and last week all of a sudden when he puts it into any gear and hits the gas it just revvs up. Drive and reverse do not work... is this a simple fix or did the tranny go. He took it to a shop and they said it needs a rebuild or replacement, and thats like $2500. I know shops can be sketchy, which is why i do all the work on my mustang and bronco myself... ive never worked on a sideways motor though lol, but if i can save him some money by working on it myself with him that would be great.

·
Registered
927 Posts
More than likely what happened is the splines in the torque converter sheared off. I work as a technician for a ford dealership and we see this all the time, check for the obvious (leaks, fluid level, burnt fluid, ect) but more than likely can just throw a new torque converter in it and go.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah im gonna go over his house this weekend and try the basics. How difficult is a torque converter replacement?

·
Registered
927 Posts
transmission has to be removed of course, going to need to remove both axles, exhaust, cradle, have to have some kind of engine support and want to make sure the cradle goes back in exactly as i came out or it will need an alignment which is a pain in the ass on the taurus.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh yeah **** that, he can pay for a shop to do it if the fluid doesn't do the trick LOL. Whats the average price so he doesnt get ripped off?

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
The shop I work at charges about $1100 to replace the torque converter in one. Should take a good tech no more than a day to do.

·
Torchin tires...
2,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The shop I work at charges about $1100 to replace the torque converter in one. Should take a good tech no more than a day to do.
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Yea its about 6 hours for labor and couple hundred for the converter. so anywhere from $900 to $1200 would be my guess. Funny we used to see these get towed into the shop like crazy and havn't seen one for awhile. Now ford come out with a recall for the freestar van for the same problem and I have never seen on of them do it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts