Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought the car new, wife used it as a dd until the trans crapped itself. Just a few examples of how it's not been abused are the original Pirelli tires lasted 81k miles, and I changed the brakes at 75k, though they didn't need it. Said it was making a loud noise, and had a delay in taking off from a stop sign. Took it in for a trans flush, and the tech showed us a pile of bronze pieces taken from the pan. This trans is toast. Car has 88k miles, and I'm not even close to being happy about this. Don't know how people are keeping these together with superchargers and other power adders. Car is stock except for headers and a Magnaflow exhaust. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of putting in a junkyard trans (found one with 22k on it), or bite the bullet and get a rebuilt one. Would have been nice to have the car paid off before doing major work to it. :mad:

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
that sucks. i'd personally pull the pan on the junkyard trans and go with it if everything looks good (no metal). if you don't do your own work i'd probably do the rebuilt one if it's affordable enough.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Sucks, I know these transmissions are suspect to failure if abused but to see them go with normal driving is a shame. I know there will be a day when this one will go even though I am not using boost or juice. Will be a fun project to rebuild in the garage.....

...not really.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Considering your tires and brakes lasted, did you do maintenance properly? or did you think that if everything sounds good and felt good, no fluids needed to be changed etc... ?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Sucks about the tranny... on the otherside though thats quite abnormal for brakes & tires to last that long, wow.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
Considering your tires and brakes lasted, did you do maintenance properly? or did you think that if everything sounds good and felt good, no fluids needed to be changed etc... ?
Exactly. If the OP went that long on both safety items I would doubt the transmission fluid was ever changed.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No, the trans fluid was never changed. No extended warranty was purchased. I've changed oil on a normal interval, but was going to wait til 100k for the trans fluid. Hindsight says I should have changed it out long ago. IMO, Ford sucks for not putting a dipstick in the trans, and filling from the bottom? Who thought of that idea? Either way, the only thing that matters is I need another one and will most likely get a j/y unit and put in. Nasty, if you would have read my post, you would see where I said the brakes didn't need to be changed, they had plenty of pad left. Tires were to the wear bars on one of the water channels, but not on the others. It's my wifes car, she's not going to be driving an unsafe car. I still have the tires, and can take pics if you like. :rolleyes:

·
10,234 Posts
i personally would recommend changing your trans fluid about every 30k. not sure what the books recommends. the saying goes, "hindsights always 20/20"

·
10,234 Posts
like engine oil any other fluid will begin to deteriorate when being used. since you didn't ever change the trans i'm assuming you haven't done the diff fluid either. might as well do all your fluids now so you don't have to worry about it later.

diff
coolant
power steering
brake
blinker

;) j/k, your blinker fluid has at least a good 100k left in it.

·
Registered
292 Posts
81k on the stock Pirelli's??? SERIOUSLY??? How is that even possible? I just replaced mine a week ago and they were toast at 35k, naturally the rear's had substantially more wear than the fronts. :D I actually would have milked a few more thousand out of them, but got a flat. Anyway, even if I got to 40k that's half of what you got. This may sound crazy, but maybe the car was UNDER used! I mean, likely the transmission likes engine speeds above 2500 RPM periodically. Ford probably built it assuming people buying this type of car would have their foot in the gas, maybe if you drive like a grandma its strangely harder on the car.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok, here's pics. Yeah, trans fluid changes would have prevented the thrust washer from destroying itself. :no Overdrive drum toast, case had to be bored (I know I'm not the first, since there are kits specifically designed for that job) and various other parts needed replacing. This pos trans never did act right from the day we bought it. Took it to the dealer twice, but no faults found, and they sent us on our way. New trans is in, with a TCI 3k stall convertor. Just when you thought the car was good to go, I have the blend door problem. Just freaking great.

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
And people called me crazy for buying a built tranny before a built short block.

·
Registered
874 Posts
And it only took a year to fix?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts