Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Hammer
14,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like the title says, my grandfathers car is blowing out warm air when it comes to an idle. just started doing this the other day, then again, I'm sure that he wasn't using the ac up until recently due to it not being needed.

basically if your not driving, warm air starts to come out. best example is we got caught at a long red light, and by the time it turned green i noticed it had gotten warmer in the car. touched the vents and felt the warm air. light turns green and by the time I'm done making the turn, (was acculturating and on the gas) cool air started coming out.

started to pay more attention and noticed pretty much at every stop longer then a minute, by the time i hit the gas again, warm air was coming through. again, within 30s of the car receiving gas, cool air starts blowing.

ac compressor shot? any ideas?

·
Never go ass to mouth.
6,441 Posts
Sounds like low refridgerant
When you're driving, it is still able to compensate due to the moving air and faster engine speeds helping to increase pressure. Mine was doing the same thing due to a small leak.

I'd be willing to bet the clutch cycles on and off fast as well, trying to build up more pressure.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
+1 on low refrigerant. You can get one of those refill bottle things from autozone that has the gauge on it and just follow the instructions on the bottle. I used one of those before when i accidently punctured an a/c line. Just replaced the line and refilled the refrigerant. It's been working great for over a year since. This might be a band-aid fix though. You might have to take it to a shop so they can find the leak (if there is one) and then recharge the system. A/C problems can be a real pain...

·
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
1,166 Posts
does the electric fan kick on? if you rev it a lil while parked does it get cold? im not a fan of those ac in a can deals. you don't know how much you put so you could end up with the same problem just overfilled. I always liked recovery and recharge, that way you know exactly how much is in there plus you know what your pressures are.

·
Hardcore Devotee
2,178 Posts
does the electric fan kick on? if you rev it a lil while parked does it get cold? im not a fan of those ac in a can deals. you don't know how much you put so you could end up with the same problem just overfilled. I always liked recovery and recharge, that way you know exactly how much is in there plus you know what your pressures are.
There is a gauge on the bigger bottles so you can stop when you get to the appropriate amount...

·
Never go ass to mouth.
6,441 Posts
I'm not a fan of the recharge cans either, but that's just from working in the industry.
They get the job done for a quick fix... But it would be best to put the system into vacuum, check for leaks, and recharge the right way from the high pressure side.
Those cans aren't too good for the compressor, and if there's a leak.. There's air getting in there, which is BAD BAD BAD. Bad for the compressor, and if there's air in the system, and you are filling from the low side with a can, you're just packing in more refrigerant on top of that air.
Go to harbor freight or something and get a set of low and high side gauges, test the pressure and if it's low, add a can..but take it in for a real servicing when time and cost allows.

·
I'm Hella From Nor*Cal
1,166 Posts
Ok, it SOUNDS like low refrigerant to me. But the fan is working fine too?

---------- Post added at 09:24 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 AM ----------

There is a gauge on the bigger bottles so you can stop when you get to the appropriate amount...
Its not just a matter of pressure, pressures high and low help tremendously to diagnose. Its a matter of amount, which is why the amount of refrigerant is measured in weight. Plus the pressures WILL change depending on amount and ambient temp.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts