Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im new to the forums and new to the modification world, and i do not know that much about cars. i got a couple of buddies feeding me suggestions, but im sure there are alot more options for me than what they are suggestion. i know i want my baby to be loud and fast. i have to be able to beat my SGT's 2003 GMC Sierra that has roughly 450hp. i was thinking about a stroker kit for the 4.6L. i have a couple parts list from my buddies that suggest different things. i was hoping the more educated car people could help me out. any help would be greatly appreciated! :sorry

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
How much does his truck weigh? Trucks usually have impressive hp/tq numbers but their weight just screws them over. You could get a decent supercharger and be putting out 400+ to the wheels and blow the doors off that truck. Or go the slightly cheaper route and do cams and CAI. Im putting Hot Rod cams and a Steeda CAI on my 06 GT... i'll let you know what im putting out to the rear wheels.

Get used to your car and how it handles before you start throwing parts at it. See how close the race is before you do anything so later on you know what you need to beat your friend.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yep I would say a supercharger is the best bang for your buck. Even with the old M90 Roush you can get 415 or 435 with the new style plus with a good SCT tune will give your stang wings!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
do anyone have any knowledge about the stroker kit for the 4.6L?!?(to a 302). i dont know how my pride will be if i wait to see how close the race is..... i cant lose to my sgt....i just cant. the worst feeling is coming to work and seeing the TRUCK sitting there and having to talk to him the next day.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
a stroker by itself is not going to net you a huge power gain.

i'd say its probably a close race just with you being stock.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if your only need in your car life is to beat him then just put a hole in his tire and go. really though you should have real goals when you start to purchase parts. just beating "X" car/truck isn't going to do anything for you in the end.

things you may consider:
will you ever take it to the drag strip
if so how often

will you ever take it on the road coarse

will you be doing both so you want something that will work just okay for both types

how much money can you spend now for the mods that will meet your end goal

how long will you be keeping this car to decide if it's worth spending money on significant performance parts that won't add to the value of the car

if you just start throwing parts at the car w/o a plan you'll likely spend money on parts that you will just end up changing later.

that said if you want any significant amount of power from the car supercharge it or turbo it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well...i do alot of street racing. i would like to have a 500-600hp mustang. i want my car to scream and be feared. couple buddies are telling me to get chips, supercharger or turbo, CAI, Headers. my sgt is telling me to get a stroker kit and bore my motor. he is feeding with all this car info, that i cant grasp for the soul fact that it is so much all at once. i dont know which mod is better to get first, or what is the best brand to get. for the funding, im not trying to spend all my deployment money, but i can part with a big chunk of it. all help is appreciated. TM

·
10,234 Posts
in my opinion.............(i'll not lecture you about street racing)

get a twin screw sc'er. my favorites in this order:
kenne bell
whipple
roush or edelbrock tvs

any of these will run you in the vicinity of 7000. you will also want to add some suspension mods. i'd also recommend upgrading to a gt500 dual fuel pump.

with your stock engine and a basic sc'er kit you'll be able to beat most cars on the road. of course there will always be the cars that are faster than you. get your HP around 500 at the wheels and you'll be at your goal for now.

·
10,234 Posts
i would say you will end up spending about 10k if your car is stock now...............which brings me to another point

:pics

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
I think you need to do a LOT of reading on this subject. A stroker kit is only going to add a measly 15 rwhp. The point of upgrading the internals isn't make power, simply provide a foundation for big power numbers. It's going to take a supercharger to make 600 rwhp. This is my recommendation.. Roush TVS. I'm making 530 rwhp on the stock motor at 11 lbs of boost custom tuned by VMP Tuning.

VMP Tuning - Buy Ford SCT & GM Custom Handheld Flash Tuners Performance Economy Towing: ROUSH 2.3L TVS Supercharger kit for 05-10 Mustang GT (6-rib)

+

GT500 fuel pumps from Tousley Ford. Tousley Ford Parts Depot

+

Add an exhaust system of your choice.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
Your near future goal as I get it is to beat your friend's truck, for now. If that's the thing, get a nice set of drag radials, a nice CAI, O/R midpipe and some nice mufflers a mail tune from American Muscle. And you can take him. I'm pretty confident in telling you this.
Is your Stang stick or Auto?

Your future goal, being make 500-600 wheel pony power. You can get 500hp on the stock block *i.e. Nasty* but, that's pushing it, I believe he got lucky, plus a NICE tuner, and also has a factory freak that many others can only hope for. That being said, 600hp is not possible on the stock internals. You will f*ck your car up on the rollers.

Get a stroker kit that is boost friendly and has low compression, put a Super/Turbocharger on it, crank the Boost controller up to 14 pounds and make sure you have earplugs.

And as always, Psycho said it earlier... WE LOVE PICTURES!

·
10,234 Posts
only thing is if he's about to deploy then a cai/tuner would be a waste. were i getting deployed and single i'd just do the engine, trans, suspension, & sc'er all at once.

·
Yut Yut Devil Dog
4,591 Posts
^agreed.

I'm sorry, are you deploying or just came back??? Either way, when you want 600+hp, you're not really looking at the power you can make, you gotta transfer it to the ground. You're stock tranny is not going to handle that kind of about, at least not for long. Now you're talking about a TR-6060 or I don't know, a built Auto... Also, at least 2K on the suspension. A set of springs of his choice, (lowered or not, I think its Roush that makes drag springs that keeps the same height) also rear UCA, and LCA. (upper and lower control arms) And really everything else that goes with that...

*I'm tired now, that's a lot of brain dump after work"

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I am currently in Iraq banking my money for when i get home. my 07 is a stick, and is stock. am i correct in assuming i dont need to change my gears or my rear end, ive read somewhere that its got a 3.55 and a posi stock? what is a good brand for mods?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts