Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got off the phone with Brenspeed. I tested my SCT Xcal2 on a different Frod vehicle and it works fine. It will not work on my '08 GT, I get a "Powerup time out msg" and the SCT cannot communicate with the car at all.

According to Dave at Brenspeed they have only heard of this happening 1 other time, but in that case the vehicle was not able to be communicated with via the ODB-II port, not even by the Ford dealership. That means no mods at all, since the car cannot be retuned.

I'm going to the dealer later today to see if they can comminucate with the car via the ODB-II port, but if they cannot then my car must be left stock. That's not what I bought this car for, so if this is the case I expect a major issue with the dealer and Ford since the car is a month old, has 2000 miles, and I've already installed tint, paint protection, and a K40 front & rear radar/laser detection system. I've got over $2K in add-ons already on the car.

If the car can't be read my tuner or Ford's equipment then I consider the car to be defective and I want it replaced. This doesn't look good.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To hell with that, Ford is getting this car back if they can't communicate with it either. If the car is defective they can fix it or replace it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
If Ford can't talk to the PCM via OBD II port, they need to fix that problem. How are you to get an emmisions check completed if the port don't communicate with the PCM????

·
Registered
535 Posts
I know this is upsetting right now try to calm down before you go to the dealer. You are intitled to a car that works properly especially since Ford will probably need to update it over the years. They might be able to replace the computer or PCM and your car will be good to go. I find it easier to, at first try to work with the service dept. to fix my problems, but if the start to jack you , you can contact Ford to try to get satisfaction. I really wish you the best and hope you get a quick and easy fix.

·
Premium Member
39,159 Posts
That sucks, but the best advice I can give you is to go to the dealer with a cool head and talk to the service department and if they cannot communicate with it via OBDII, they need to fix it, under warranty.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll be cool with the dealer and give them time to make it right, but at the first sign of resistance or reluctance to fix it they will find that I am not negotiable on this issue.

But that's if there is an issue, it's also possible that Ford can communicate with the car but the SCT cannot. Then it's my problem, not Ford's.

I'm hoping it's an easy fix, but I don't really have any idea what's wrong.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
this is crazy man i got an 08 too and that kinda pisses me off. i know if it happens to me i going to the dealer and demanding a fix under warrenty or give me a car i can modify. too hell with the warrenty i'd tell them i spent 20+k for a car to play with not be retrained by fords shitty tune. man this is bullshit

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
The cars are not going to remain unprogrammable. SCT has some of the best code crackers in the world.

The 07's were late to the game as well, the cars were out in mid 06 and to get a SCT that could communicate with them proved difficult until November. Granted this is a bit further out timeline wise.

The auto manufacturers are always going to try and lock down the tuning of their product, it's nature of the beast.. Good news is, SCT and similar want to make their killing monetarily and they will get around it.

Brenspeed is reliable, but lay some questioning down with SCT as the ability to gain access will ultimately lay there.

I assure you this car is not going to end up un-tuneable. There might be a bit of time to wait, but you will get in that ecu eventually.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's an update...

I plugged the SCT tuner into a different Ford vehicle and it can communicate and read codes with no problems. So the SCT tuner is OK.

I took the Mustang to the dealer and one of their techs plugged his fancly high dollar looking tool into the ODB-II port and it communicated and read codes on my car with no problems. So the car is OK.

The problem appears to be that the SCT XCal2 is not compatible with my 2008 Mustang. Maybe my car has a new version of the Ford software and the SCT isn't up to date, who knows?

Brenspeed offered to send me a SCT X3 to try. They didn't sound too positive about the chances for that working though.

If the SCT X3 doesn't work then I guess I can try a Diablo tuner. If that doesn't work then I'm screwed until (if) someone ever makes a tuner that will work with my car.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
To hell with that, Ford is getting this car back if they can't communicate with it either. If the car is defective they can fix it or replace it.

I find that real hard to beleive. Matter a fact its a down right stupid answer if you think about it. Call ford racing man, tell them that someone told you this, but your were thinking about buy gears from them and would thier recal tool be able to communicate with your car, just to see what they say.

I bet i know why.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called SCT and they said either the XCal2 is bad or it's the car, they didn't seem to think it was possible that maybe Ford had changed their protocol causing the tuner not to work. The SCT tech said that the ODB-II port appears to not be sending the higher voltage needed to the tuner to write a tune.

The only way to know if Ford, Brenspeed and SCT don't have an answer I guess is to wait a few months and see if more people start having this issue. If so, then the aftermarket will have to figure it out and fix it if they want to keep selling tuners and parts.

If the X3 doesn't work I may try a Diablo tuner and see if that works.

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
One thing to think about. Is that ford racing always will insist on you giving them the full number off the back of the pcm when you need a recalibration from them and not just the number on the white sticker like all these other aftermarket guys ask for. They say that, that number on the sticker is just a batch number and that there can be different strategies within that batch and that you can have problems if you just use the number off the white sticker. Something to think about.

thats why i said call ford racing, even if you act like your buying something from them like gears, or the power pack that you will need their re-cal tool for and tell them that you had this problem with the xcal not working. Just to see what they say. It is a ford, they know fords.

·
Registered
161 Posts
It has to be either a XCal3 or the Livewire to work on the 2007 or 2008 Mustangs. SCT should have told you that. My buddy has a 2008 GT and we loaded the #3015 just fine. His production date was 02/08. There is not enough memory available in the XCal 2 for the new programs. I am really surprised that Brenspeed didn't tell you that. They know, maybe you just the wrong person.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It has to be either a XCal3 or the Livewire to work on the 2007 or 2008 Mustangs. SCT should have told you that. My buddy has a 2008 GT and we loaded the #3015 just fine. His production date was 02/08. There is not enough memory available in the XCal 2 for the new programs. I am really surprised that Brenspeed didn't tell you that. They know, maybe you just the wrong person.
Doug at Bamachips said that the new style XCal2 (blue LCD display) has sufficient memory, that the memory issue was with the early version XCal2. Also, he said it should still read codes even if there wasn't enough memory for 3 custom tunes, and that these issues applied to the Auto transmission GT's not the 5-speeds.

Gonna try the X3 next week when I get it and hope that fixes it...got my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
you sure you got the right calibration code on your 08 stored in the tuner???

1 - 20 of 43 Posts