Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am having an issue with my number one cylinder making a squeaking noise. I am pretty sure it’s a lifter failing, but wanted other opinions/troubleshooting before tearing it back down again. If I remove both the rockers the noise is gone so I don’t think it’s a cam bearing or any bearing. If I put the exhaust rocker back on it squeaks. I tried only the intake rocker but that did not turn out good. I think sucking air and not letting it out was not good. Below is a youtube link of the sound. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks

https://youtu.be/fJSvelbZRFQ

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
Well, seeing the blower on there, I'd say headgasket is blown. They like to push out between the headbolts. Good luck. I'd do a compression test to confirm.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would that make a squeaking sound though? I figured i would see water in the oil, losing antifreeze or over pressurizing anti freeze. and none of that is happening. Thanks for the reply though. I will check compression this week. I verified the rollers and cam, all that looks good.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,961 Posts
None of that will happen if it blows to the outside between the small bolts. That only happens if it blows to a water passage. I've popped a lot of gaskets. It will make a wierd sound like a loose sparkplug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the compression test came up negative. All the cylinders are within 2 psi of each other. I tore down the the intake and checked the lifters, they look good too. I went on and replaced them just in case. Noise is still there. Best guess is one of the cam bearings is loose and rotating. dont see anything in the oil. going to try thicker oil or additive see if it clears it up a little. i know its not a fix but a band aid is better than nothing. got a 331 waiting to get built anyways. thanks for your input though.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts