Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking into getting a new flywheel/clutch assembly for my car and had heard a while back of someone putting a flywheel in their v6 that accepted a 10.5" clutch like the gt's use. If anyone has a link to that flywheel or where i could get one it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess to start out i should also mention that i am looking for an aluminum flywheel, and a stage 1 clutch as HCI is in the near future.

For the spec flywheels would the aluminum flywheel advertised for the 94-04 v6 mustangs fit ( SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel (94-04 Mustang V6) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! ) or would i need to get the 6 bolt flywheel advertised for the 96-98 and mid 01-04 gt mustangs ( SPEC Billet Aluminum Flywheel - 6 Bolt (96-98 and Mid 01-04 GT) at AmericanMuscle.com - Free Shipping! )

Im assuming the answer is for the one advertised for the v6, but just wanted to check.

Thanks for the responses

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Yeah for v6. Even with H/C/I you'll be ok with the stock size. An aluminum flywheel and performance clutch (so long as the torque rating is sufficient) will work great.

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Maybe I'm confusing myself, You're posting links for v6 stuff but want a GT flywheel...? There's a point where being able to hold "more power" isn't necessary. Some clutches for the v6 (stock size) can hold over 300lb ft...which you probably wouldn't reach even with the top end swap. CT put somethin in the 400lb ft. Just under 500hp range which is why he went to somethin' stronger...soooo it just depends on if its really necessary, if not I wouldn't change the size.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
yah i know the stock size works, but i wanted the 10.5" clutch simply because they can hold more power and are cheaper then getting the 11" clutches
:confused: where did you get that information from?
I got a custom clutch from the website above and its rated to 650whp but people have taken it to well over 700hp in cobras and its an 11in clutch.

your flywheel and clutch are basically identical to your brake system.
if you run a thicker bigger brake pad....results are that your going to stop better and quicker. if you run a 10.5 clutch vs an 11inch its smaller.
I've seen the 2 clutches and installed both. I blew my tranny running a 10.5 6puck style clutch. it seemed as if the pads were way to small about an inch.. in order to grip and go. sure enough it was strong as hell but dangerous.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts