Modded Mustang Forums banner

10.5" Wheels on Rear of 89 Mustang, How Can I Do It?

22K views 18 replies 17 participants last post by  plumabob 
#1 ·
I looking for someone who has gone through the process of putting a Set of 10.5" wheels on the back of a 87 - 93 (specifically a 89) Fox body Mustang. I need to know what suspension and body mods I will have to perform to make this happen and it is going to happen. Thanks for any and all info you can give. Mustangs for Life, Dude.

#5 ·
10.5's will fit....it just takes some maneuvering to get them on there, actually alot of maneuvering and jamming, and hammering and whatnot. Anyways....they do fit, A friend got them on there, and I'm sure a few people will back me up here. Anything bigger needs the fenders rolled and whatnot....but if ur careful and try really hard, u can squeeze em in

#8 ·
I am assuming you are talking about putting a 17 x 10.5" wheel... It is not as easy as they are making it sound. When I first started my project, I bought some 5 lug 10.5" wheels with a 275 rear tire. I did some test fitting, and abanoned the idea. It will require major mods to get a 275 rear and a 10.5" tire, let alone the 315 rear tire that should really be on there. Do a search, I went into more detail in other threads. Bottom line, is you are much better off running a 17x9 wheel with a 275 tire. That still requires mods, you need to run aftermarket upper and lower control arms so you can remove the quad shock, and is some cases you may need to roll the fender lip. It looks real nice though, fills the fender out perfectly.

#9 ·
confused

what is up ya'll? i am new to this forum and kinda new to mustangs. i have a 89gt with TFTW heads, TRF stage II cam, performerII intake, roller rockers, 3.73 gears, etc. i am now dressing the car up with paint , wheels, tint, etc. i was wondering what in the world can i do to make 17x9in fit on my stang? on that note...what is rolling fenders, is it really necessary to change upper and lower control arms? what will actually rub, the rim or the tire.

#10 ·
jtillery said:
I am assuming you are talking about putting a 17 x 10.5" wheel... It is not as easy as they are making it sound. When I first started my project, I bought some 5 lug 10.5" wheels with a 275 rear tire. I did some test fitting, and abanoned the idea. It will require major mods to get a 275 rear and a 10.5" tire, let alone the 315 rear tire that should really be on there. Do a search, I went into more detail in other threads. Bottom line, is you are much better off running a 17x9 wheel with a 275 tire. That still requires mods, you need to run aftermarket upper and lower control arms so you can remove the quad shock, and is some cases you may need to roll the fender lip. It looks real nice though, fills the fender out perfectly.
I have the 93 in my sig and just put on 17x9s all the way around with 245 40 17s up front and 275 40s in the rear. The only ...absolute only mod I had to do was flip the quad shocks which took all of 10 minutes.
No rubbing at all.
Now I agree that 17x10.5 with a 315 would just be out of the question. I have never tried it , but it does not seem feesable to me.

#13 ·
Wow!
I stand corrected. Great looking car! What did it take to get em under there?
Again , pardon my ignorance :popcorn

#14 ·
SDHW44 said:
I think they will fit, only thing you will have to do is convert over to 5 lug if they are 5 lug.

otherwise I think the 10.5 fit.
Converting to five lug has nothing to do with a tire fitting. It all has to do with getting the correct rim backspacing and removing the quad shocks, and maybe rolling the fender lips. Remember you can only safely remove the quad shocks if you have aftermarker rear control arms..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.