Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK I am going to purchase one of these and wanted to hear some opinions and preferences on the Steeda vs. the Whipple. I know the price is close to the same with the Whipple being a little cheaper so that’s not a big thing. Any guidance is appreciated.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
You should talk to Tony, Anthony05GT, He has a 10 rib. I think he runs the Whipple one.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea I know there are a few people here that run one or the other im hoping they will chime in.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I run the Steeda kit. It was the only one available on the market at the time. It does a pretty good job but here are my problems with it:

1. It uses a crappy under driver crank pulley which in turn slows down your water pump while you are trying to make more power. Not the greatest idea.

2. Alternator has made slight contact with the back of the mounting bracket.

3. Pulley grooves are not machined properly with flat walls within the valleys of the v's. In theory this will reduce grip.

4. You can only lower your motor a1/2" or so before the lower blower pulley can make contact with the radiator support. I imagine this is the same with the Whipple kit.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I run the Steeda kit. It was the only one available on the market at the time. It does a pretty good job but here are my problems with it:

1. It uses a crappy under driver crank pulley which in turn slows down your water pump while you are trying to make more power. Not the greatest idea.

2. Alternator has made slight contact with the back of the mounting bracket.

3. Pulley grooves are not machined properly with flat walls within the valleys of the v's. In theory this will reduce grip.

4. You can only lower your motor a1/2" or so before the lower blower pulley can make contact with the radiator support. I imagine this is the same with the Whipple kit.
Thanks for the input. I was leaning towards the Whipple it’s just a little bulky looking. It looks like you get a little more belt surface on the Whipple the way it’s designed. IDK I’m sure they are both decent products just weighing my options.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Hey bro, yes I have the Whipple version. I looked at both the Steeda and Whipple and decided on this one because it has more belt contact on the blower pulley. I haven't had any problems at all. It's quiet, sturdy and well made in every way. I always seem to find something I don't like, but didn't in this case.

One thing you might want to remember is the crank pulley comes in 2 pieces. I installed it and drove the car several times and decided to change the boost level which required me to replace one of the two crank pieces. It's a good thing I did because it originally came assembled, but when I went to swap the ribbed pulley over to change boost, I found the bolts that hold the 2 together were finger tight. Could have had something nasty happen so just make sure the bolts are tight.

I used to hit third gear and hear the belt squeal a bit and that never happens now. I still have the original pulley 5.5'' which is good for around 10psi. It's in new condition. I don't know whether you can buy the kit without the pulley, but I'll sell it to you for a song if you want. They get $250 for a pulley.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey bro, yes I have the Whipple version. I looked at both the Steeda and Whipple and decided on this one because it has more belt contact on the blower pulley. I haven't had any problems at all. It's quiet, sturdy and well made in every way. I always seem to find something I don't like, but didn't in this case.

One thing you might want to remember is the crank pulley comes in 2 pieces. I installed it and drove the car several times and decided to change the boost level which required me to replace one of the two crank pieces. It's a good thing I did because it originally came assembled, but when I went to swap the ribbed pulley over to change boost, I found the bolts that hold the 2 together were finger tight. Could have had something nasty happen so just make sure the bolts are tight.

I used to hit third gear and hear the belt squeal a bit and that never happens now. I still have the original pulley 5.5'' which is good for around 10psi. It's in new condition. I don't know whether you can buy the kit without the pulley, but I'll sell it to you for a song if you want. They get $250 for a pulley.
Thanks for the input. I was pretty much sold on the Whipple and from what I have heard that’s the way I’m going. I’ll see if they will sell it without the lower pulley and if they will ill buy yours. If not I may just buy the kit with the higher boost pulley and buy yours for now and save me some money down the road. My intentions are to build a high boost motor I’m just trying to get my drive train in order first because I know once I start hooking things are going to break especially with the power that comes with the higher boost. What all come in the Whipple kit?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Let's see...a tensioner, longer snout, billet bracket, lower pulley with harmonic balancer, all hardware and a bottle of oil for the blower. I'm sure there's more...just cant remember. I did that when I did the stroker shortblock and had a lot going on. I do know that it was cake and the worst part for you would be swapping the balancer/pulley. If you pull the blower or park on a steep incline you won't lose any oil and can save what they give you.

You will need your original shorter 6 rib belt.

On that other pulley, I'll sell it for $100 shipped. The anodized coating isn't even worn off the belt contact area.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds like a good deal. Hopefully I will be doing something in the next couple of weeks. Is the balancer the stock size? I know the steeda one is under sized.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
The balancer looks stock, but accommodates six grade 8 bolts. The pulley is 12 rib which bolts to the balancer. To change boost level you have to go to a larger pulley to raise or a smaller pulley to lower boost...the opposite way if you were to swap blower pulleys. I guess they want the smallest blower pulley possible do to hood clearance issues since the snout sticks out further and the hood slopes more the further forward you go.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a cervinis cowl hood so i should be ok in that aspect. Ill let u know soon about the pulley.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts