Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Well where ya live? ( cold, hot ) you talking Synthetic or normal? I would recommend Valvoline, but thats just me, ive been using it my whole life ( if your talking non-synthetic Motor Oil )

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Yeah I use 10w30 year round, never have any issues. Oh yeah, I always ZMax my engine 1 month before the hot season.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Yeah your right, i though it was more. I copied this from the Royal Purple Website just for kicks.

Why Use Royal Purple?
Independent university and industry tests document the performance gains of using Royal Purple. When compared to leading synthetic and conventional motor oils, Royal Purple motor oil typically:
  • Increases horsepower and torque by as much as 3%
  • Reduces engine wear by as much as 80%
  • Improves fuel economy by as much as 5%
  • Reduces engine heat by as much as 10%
  • Reduces emissions by up to 20% or more

·
MMs Ford Racing Nut Swinger
4,370 Posts
Now I am a bit confused with Mobil1 synthetic. I was told it is not fully synthetic any more & I went to Mobil1s website & found this>> Mobil 1 Extended Performance has a unique formulation with a boosted level of protection and performance. Mobil 1 Extended Performance, with the Advanced SuperSyn System, contains 50 percent more SuperSyn than Mobil 1. (Updated March 2006) So this makes me think that it isnt fully synthetic.. then I look further on theyre website & find this info>>> Is Mobil 1 with SuperSyn Technology a fully synthetic motor oil?
Yes, it is. To meet the demanding requirements of today's specifications (and our customers' expectations), Mobil 1 with SuperSyn uses high-performance fluids, including polyalphaolefins (PAOs), along with a proprietary system of additives. Each Mobil 1 with SuperSyn viscosity grade uses a unique combination of synthetic fluids and selected additives in order to tailor the viscosity grade to its specific application.

Can anyone help un-confuse me?? Is it fully synthetic or not??:confused:

·
Registered
261 Posts
I have been using valvoline 10w 30, and was wondering if it would be alright to switch to a full synthetic(mobil 1, royal purple, etc)? I have heard that you are not supposed to switch from conventional to synthetic. Is that true or no? I have also heard that synthetic can harm seals on higher mileage vehicles(my car has 123k), thus leading to leaks? Is that true?

sorry for the derail..

·
Registered
569 Posts
mobil 1 syn is like 26$ for 4 quarts it sucks, but in the 5.0 dyno book they say it adds 3-4 hp across the rpm board...not worth it to me though

·
Registered
261 Posts
mobil 1 syn is like 26$ for 4 quarts it sucks, but in the 5.0 dyno book they say it adds 3-4 hp across the rpm board...not worth it to me though
I seen wal-mart had a sale on mobil 1 full syn. today. I think it was like $22 for a 5 qt. container.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
ok i have heard that once you start using synthetic motor oil its not good to go back to conventional......is there any truth to this

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
If you are going to have a leak, it is more likely to have one with synthetic because it doesn't swell seals the same way conventional oil does. There is no problem switching back and forth, but once a seal starts leaking, it's hard to get it to reseal.

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
People have been screwing the "conventional" oils name all to shits. Personally, as good as the synthetic oil is. The "conventional" oil is just as good. It's all about how you take care of your car. Like the marketing **** about Blah Blah Craft Oils made for cars over 750000 miles.... Hmmm, they know people would run into that sooner or later so why wasn't that made 105 years ago.

Anyways I've been using Quaker State 10w30 for years and recently moved to Valvoline 10w30 and throughout the years, never had any problems, no lag of power, no loss in oil usage. My car runs just the same and with regular oil made for "Street" cars, it's actually best to use that as the car i specifically made for "conventional" oil. It's all a marketing bullcrap. Now let's get it straight, I am in no way talking about synthetic oils ok? I am just saying in general, both oils work great but you are good with regular oil too. If you are looking for that extra power and sealing, Use Z Max, drive your car for a few days or so and you will feel more power and your engine will that you as is blows all the carbon crap away... Now, if they only made Zmax for smokers like me, I will be good to go.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts