Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I learned a very hard lesson today.

I bought Black Boss Racing Stripes for American Muscle. I would not install racing stripes yourself (or at least me) even though there install message says anyone can do it. I spent and hour yesterday taking hood scoop off and spoiler and 3rd brake light (though that might make it easier). Than I went out first thing this morning and used painters tape to measure, measure and mark where they needed to be placed.

I then went to put the stripes on the hood. The stripes came out of the packaging with some folds in it, but I don't think that made the difference. I followed the instructions and those on you tube. Soap water all over hood and back of stripe. I placed with my marks and pushed the water out. Though it look good. Let it sit for about 1.5hrs, while I worked on the roof. I then went to take off the backing paper on the hood. As it came off there was bubbles and folds. It looked very bad. Looked good from a mile, but got up on it, it was horrible. The roof came out the same way. I don't know what I did wrong. Followed videos and instructions. A friend came over and tried and was getting same results on the trunk. The bubbles may have worked themselves out (although some were pretty big.) But, the folds will not.

Needless to say I had to tear it off. Consider it a loss, don't think AM will do something for a bad install. I don't know what else it would of been. That was extremely hard. $120 down the drain.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should of actually posted this in the biggest regret thread...

·
6 Time ROTM Loser!
5,163 Posts
1 I would never get racing stripes at all
2 If I did, I would've definitely have a professional install them EVEN if they saw easy install. Something so small can go wrong and **** up the whole thing...which you know.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
1 I would never get racing stripes at all
2 If I did, I would've definitely have a professional install them EVEN if they saw easy install. Something so small can go wrong and **** up the whole thing...which you know.
Agreed...Well, now anyways. I did look good with the stripes though, when I stood far away that is.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
i found lemans stripes to be a simple thing to do with a spray bottle of soapy water and a credit card...did it on my first v6 when i first bought it..took about 2 hours in all since i was by myself...so i dunno how you had trouble with this...especially since a new edge has some funky shapes on the hood compared to an s197

a good way i line up where im going with the stripe btw...i use a carpenters chalk line. good for a straight line

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i found lemans stripes to be a simple thing to do with a spray bottle of soapy water and a credit card...did it on my first v6 when i first bought it..took about 2 hours in all since i was by myself...so i dunno how you had trouble with this...especially since a new edge has some funky shapes on the hood compared to an s197

a good way i line up where im going with the stripe btw...i use a carpenters chalk line. good for a straight line
The line wasn't the problem. I had it straight. It was alot of bubbles and folds. I don't know what went wrong. I took my time with this too.

·
Banned
17,374 Posts
The line wasn't the problem. I had it straight. It was alot of bubbles and folds. I don't know what went wrong. I took my time with this too.
did you use a soapy water mix in a spray bottle...then press all the air bubbles out with a card or something of the sort? also for some bubbles that appear after pressing..a pin prick and another pressing will fix 99% of most bubbles

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
What did you use to work the bubbles out? When we would put graphix on the race car we would use soapy water and then use a plastic squeegee for the vinyl. usually it would come out really nice, but it is alittle tough the first few times, it takes time.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you use a soapy water mix in a spray bottle...then press all the air bubbles out with a card or something of the sort? also for some bubbles that appear after pressing..a pin prick and another pressing will fix 99% of most bubbles
Yup, soap water mix on back of stripe and all over the car. Got it into position, used a credit card from the middle work out. Let dry for awhile peeled backing and saw that mess. I did use a pin on some of the bigger bubbles. But, as it dried it started to have creases. It was a total failure.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
You used way to much soap.. You are suppose to use 1-2 drops of dishwashing liquid. Also you need to use a blowdryer to get all the creases out. But to much soap = not sticking in some spot,which cause it to bubble.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You used way to much soap.. You are suppose to use 1-2 drops of dishwashing liquid. Also you need to use a blowdryer to get all the creases out. But to much soap = not sticking in some spot,which cause it to bubble.
I used a blowdryer to help. It helped on some of them. I did only put 2 drops in the bottle. Don't know maybe it was to much. Live and learn I guess.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Yup, soap water mix on back of stripe and all over the car. Got it into position, used a credit card from the middle work out. Let dry for awhile peeled backing and saw that mess. I did use a pin on some of the bigger bubbles. But, as it dried it started to have creases. It was a total failure.
omg lol you don't peel the backing off after you stick the stripe.. you completely remove it from the paper and spray the sticky side with soapy water then position on car and use plastic paint scraper or whatever once u get it right to get water out.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It was my first time doing them to. and mine didn't do any of this. What I did was carefully remove each piece after I cut it to length, from it's paper completely. I would spray the bottom of it as well as the car. Then place it on car position it up to painters tape and then start from the top of the stripe and work all the way down to the bottom getting bubbles out. Then trim off extra inch you leave and blow dry the edge into place.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
omg lol you don't peel the backing off after you stick the stripe.. you completely remove it from the paper and spray the sticky side with soapy water then position on car and use plastic paint scraper or whatever once u get it right to get water out.
It was the transfer paper I took off after the strip was on. It said to do that in the instructions.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And if you just did them today it isn't to late to go peel the off re-spray them and get them right. unless you threw them away
Myself and a friend tried that. It stretched and was ruined. Wouldn't of worked. It did stick real good. Just has bubbles and folds.

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
It was the transfer paper I took off after the strip was on. It said to do that in the instructions.
I didn't get any instructions and every video I watched for it they had all the paper off the stripe. That way you can see the bubble easily and correct them. but either way it shouldn't have done that.. Contant AM and get a new pair maybe u got some bad ones ?? :)

·
Registered
2,369 Posts
Myself and a friend tried that. It stretched and was ruined. Wouldn't of worked. It did stick real good. Just has bubbles and folds.
you would have had to use heat to get them off and slowly. =[ sorry it turned out so bad. Mine went on fine. I just took my time and did it slow!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts