Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running an R300 Rotor which has a special type of slotted vent. My question is, is it possible to buy either a Baer, Steeda, or Roush 13" Rear Brake Upgrade kit, that I can throw on a 13" front rotor since they don't make the rear rotors in 13" of course... I'm just wondering if anybody has done it before? Or know if everything would line up? Thanks!

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I would think that you would be look at the entire braking package. About 70% of the braking power is on the front brakes. If you go to 13" rears ( custom build) then what are you running on the fron 20" brakes? And what tires do you have to work with those brakes?

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that you would be look at the entire braking package. About 70% of the braking power is on the front brakes. If you go to 13" rears ( custom build) then what are you running on the fron 20" brakes? And what tires do you have to work with those brakes?
i was going to use the spacer from the Baer 13" brake upgrade kit, and the front 13" rotors. basically the proportioning will be uneffected, just the rear brakes will become more efficient and have less chance of heat issues with a vented rotor as well as more surface.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I would think that the rear brakes would then lock up on you before the front. I don't really know but 13" rear and 13" front seem out of proportional to me. Ask Jazzer or Rev.

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would think that the rear brakes would then lock up on you before the front. I don't really know but 13" rear and 13" front seem out of proportional to me. Ask Jazzer or Rev.
not if it's using the OEM rear caliper.... I'm not trying to put the cobra caliper on the rear. I just want to keep these rotors because they dessipate heat so well. besides, rotor size doesn't effect proportioning. the caliper is what really effects proportioning.

·
Registered
784 Posts
actualy it has ALOT to do with the diameter because it is how much leverage that the caliper and pads has on the rotor or else you would have every f1 car with the same size brakes front and rear. with out a proportioning vlave to limit rear pressure you would lock up like crazy unless you had a drag only set up that you never take the rear slicks off of and the front rotor is alot thicker than the rear so the caliper wouldnt fit

and depending you could proportion it too with 14" rotors up front because we have 11.75" rears stock

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actualy it has ALOT to do with the diameter because it is how much leverage that the caliper and pads has on the rotor or else you would have every f1 car with the same size brakes front and rear. with out a proportioning vlave to limit rear pressure you would lock up like crazy unless you had a drag only set up that you never take the rear slicks off of and the front rotor is alot thicker than the rear so the caliper wouldnt fit

and depending you could proportion it too with 14" rotors up front because we have 11.75" rears stock
You also see F1 cars using the type of calipers front and rear versus on mine where I have 2-piston Roush PBR's up front and then the single POS Ford caliper in the rear. The way my car is set up right now, I have lots of stress cracks in the front rotor and I wear through my front pads about 4 times as fast as the rears. That's not how it's supposed to work. If I close the proportion down it will do nothing but help my braking issues at this point.

and you're right i didn't think about rotor thickness, you'd need a custom made pad with next to know brake material on it to make that work... never mind then, I'll probably just keep this brake setup until i come across an Alcon brake kit for sale.

·
Registered
784 Posts
yes but for me i run the same roush pbr calipers up front and i run stock rear set up and if i pull the abs fuse i cant help the rear from locking up under hard braking at the track what kind of pads are you running and its not how many pistons you have it has to do with the square inches of the pistons in the calipers and the sqin of the pad area.

do you have brake ducts or the stock dust shields in place
i removed my dust shields all together and cut my rotor temps nearly in half up front and rear by 1/2

and up front if your into serious racing you could goto a 4 piston the big advantage would be larger pad that covers more of the rotor diameter so helps to spread the heat over the pad

i run pfc z rated pads all around and have not managed too over heat them yet and they wear awesome

and the problem with us not running a better caliper on the rear is needing a parking/emergency brake for dot. so you could run dual rear calipers 1 for parking brake and 1 only for foot brake

small heat cracks arent a problem as long as they dont go through the thickness of the rotor

are you running the stock gt rear rotor or the cobra mach rear rotors that are vented and also another inch or so in diameter?

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I thought the cobra rear calipers were the same, just a diffrent pad and a vain rotors instead of solid for the gt

I'm running a irs rear so I have cobra rotors... We just bolted my calipers to the rear bracket, they looked identical off the donar car

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You will get no measurable braking advantage on an OEM caliper going larger rotor :(

Prior to my current rear brakes, Y'all knew I was gonna brake something... , I had gone Cobra rear brakes and installed a manual rear-bias valve on my car. Valve was wide open and no seat of the pants impromement whatever :( Brakes would not lock or even attempt to do so. Even if there was improved bite, the rear suspension gemetry is not going to allow much additional braking anyway. By physics alone, they would have to be an improvement, but unless it was an easy conversion for you, I would not bother.

Beyond this, extra pistons will be of limited help, as once the components get heat-soaked, your in trouble anyway. 4-pot calipers are plenty to stop and only need improved cooling, as Mike said, for running on the open-track. If your rotors are cracking/warping/damaged on street use, either using cheap rotors or doing it wrong :yes

Jazzer :)

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I thought the cobra rear calipers were the same, just a diffrent pad and a vain rotors instead of solid for the gt

I'm running a irs rear so I have cobra rotors... We just bolted my calipers to the rear bracket, they looked identical off the donar car
Cobras, Mach 1s, and Bullitts and an 11.65" vented rear rotor. GTs and 6ers have a 10.5" solid rear rotor. I looked at the upgrade but for my car it didn't seem worth it. I don't autocross.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-brake-bracket-kit.html

Note: To improve braking and looks I did buy a slotted, drilled rotor kit for both my front Cobra brakes and rear GT brakes.

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=936

·
BTM AutoSport
2,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You will get no measurable braking advantage on an OEM caliper going larger rotor :(

Prior to my current rear brakes, Y'all knew I was gonna brake something... , I had gone Cobra rear brakes and installed a manual rear-bias valve on my car. Valve was wide open and no seat of the pants impromement whatever :( Brakes would not lock or even attempt to do so. Even if there was improved bite, the rear suspension gemetry is not going to allow much additional braking anyway. By physics alone, they would have to be an improvement, but unless it was an easy conversion for you, I would not bother.

Beyond this, extra pistons will be of limited help, as once the components get heat-soaked, your in trouble anyway. 4-pot calipers are plenty to stop and only need improved cooling, as Mike said, for running on the open-track. If your rotors are cracking/warping/damaged on street use, either using cheap rotors or doing it wrong :yes

makes sense. as for my current rotors they have tiny stress cracks, nothing major. I'm running Porterfield R4 pads so the power is there, I just wanted to take some load off the fronts as I change pads up front once a year yet I haven't had to change the rears in 3 years. I'm running just gt rear brakes, roush didn't upgrade the rears on the PBR kit unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You appearently brake very hard and quite often :yes Is this all street driving or do you open-track your ride? If this is only on the street, you should not be getting your brakes that hot :no I have open-tracked my car, but never hard enough to get the brakes cookin'. I have been to probably 20 HPDE's, mostly AX, and have had no issues with my Brembo's. I brake VERY hard on the course, but just not long enough to cause problems. I first set of pads lasted about 2 years and only changed them due to replacing rotors. They were pretty worn and was trying to get to the bottom of some noises anyway, so I changed them.

With the brakes I linked above and on a TA rear-suspension, my car has brakes that stagger the mind :eek: Of course, all the brakes in the world will be rendered useless without the tires to hold the road :yes

·
Registered
784 Posts
Summit racing used to sell the cobra rear upgrade kit for 175 with free shipping

And it dose balance the braking out after installing the cobra fronts the diffrence being the caliper bracket has a slightly lager opening ( ive just ground them before) and a thinner pad

Other wise its a cheap upgrade and like said above with out better tires all the brakes in the world wont help

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Cobras, Mach 1s, and Bullitts and an 11.65" vented rear rotor. GTs and 6ers have a 10.5" solid rear rotor. I looked at the upgrade but for my car it didn't seem worth it. I don't autocross.

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-rear-brake-bracket-kit.html

Note: To improve braking and looks I did buy a slotted, drilled rotor kit for both my front Cobra brakes and rear GT brakes.

http://www.speedconcepts.net/product_info.php?products_id=936
Nor what I was saying, yes rotors are diffrent, but the caliper itself is the same correct?

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
Summit racing used to sell the cobra rear upgrade kit for 175 with free shipping

And it dose balance the braking out after installing the cobra fronts the diffrence being the caliper bracket has a slightly lager opening ( ive just ground them before) and a thinner pad

Other wise its a cheap upgrade and like said above with out better tires all the brakes in the world wont help
That is a nice price, but was beyond me to tell any difference and even with the prop-valve all the way open :( Due to a larger rotor and additional improved leverage, they can only help... but unless it was a this kind of deal, I would recommend one spend his/her $$$ on a more worthwhile upgrade*

*sayyyyyy..... GR-40 upgrade, maybe? :shiftyeyes

·
Premium Member
3,387 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Nor what I was saying, yes rotors are diffrent, but the caliper itself is the same correct?
I had always thought so but apparently it takes a slight mod to the GT calipers to make them work.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts