1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
you do need some 4 ga. wire, shrink tube and ring terminals, but that price is crazy. I used the cable from a set of autozones $10 jumpercables, the insulation is so flexible that you can rout it very well. You shouldent have to spend more than $20-25 to install the alt.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
You also need the little stator plug if you alt doesn't come with it and 4 ga wire is way overkill. If you keep the factory wiring, you only need maybe a 10 or 8 ga additional wire.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do i need the additional 8 or 10 gauge wire? Cant i just use the factory wiring without the addional wire???

·
Registered
2,950 Posts

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Do i need the additional 8 or 10 gauge wire? Cant i just use the factory wiring without the addional wire???
the stock wires have what looks like 2 12 ga. wired but the 2 y into 1, I would re-run the wires.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The factory wiring is rated to about 75 amps. If you use the factory wiring you will blow the fusible link in about 5 minutes if it doesn't start a fire first.

·
Banned
3,784 Posts
I believe you also need to grind on your stock brackets to get the alt. to fit in there. But that's no big deal.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
The small body 3g fits without grinding. This is either a 95 amp or high output 150 amp alternator and is an inch smaller in diameter than the regular 130 amp unit.

·
Registered
3,357 Posts
just go buy the wiring from a car audio place. ask for a big3 upgrade kit and it will come with enough wire and terminals to do all the cables under the hood. it should cost about 35$

heres one online
Elemental Designs

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Dont you have to put in a different voltage regulator too :dunno
The voltage regulator is internal on the 3g...on the 2g it is on the back of the alternator.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok so i use my factory wiring plus an extra wire going from the battery to the alternator??

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
yes, with a mega fuse or fusible link on the new wire.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Ok so i use my factory wiring plus an extra wire going from the battery to the alternator??
the one i got doesnt use any of the factory plug-ins.....just that one wire to the battery

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
sorry still confused anbody got a link?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Even with the one wire alt, you still need the green wire to be hooked up or the charging system will not work correctly on a fox body mustang.

The easiest think to do is to use the factory wiring and supplement with a 8 gauge wire and fuse.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts