Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Kid you got like 2 months of winter left :)

·
Premium Member
11,367 Posts
Like the title says.... I bought the 160 deg. thermostat now I was told I needed to run a colder plug... What do yall recomend? Nice weather is comming and im rareing to go!!!!!!!!!!!!
A colder plug is the last thing you want to run with a 160 degree thermostat. A 160 thermostat is going to cause you more harm than good anyway. Your computer is going to think the car is always cold so it will always be in "warm up" mode. The engine will run extremely rich, get poor mileage and will most likely be down on horsepower. Put a 180 degree thermostat in it instead.

·
KCCO
14,878 Posts
A colder plug is the last thing you want to run with a 160 degree thermostat. A 160 thermostat is going to cause you more harm than good anyway. Your computer is going to think the car is always cold so it will always be in "warm up" mode. The engine will run extremely rich, get poor mileage and will most likely be down on horsepower. Put a 180 degree thermostat in it instead.
+1. go with a 180.

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
160 good with a twin screw though right?

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
+1, 180° is as low as you need to go and if you live in a place that has winter it's unlikely you need that...

Oh, and you would need hotter plugs not colder--stay away from whomever told you to get colder plugs, they don't have a clue as to what they are talking about.

·
The Mean Green
5,528 Posts
+1 180 or keep it stock. They are designed to run at a specific temp range.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
Plus you need to tell the fan to come on sooner to match the thermostat, or it will eventually get up to normal operating temps in the summer anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts