Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have H&R SS springs in my car, and I have the polyurethane rubber thingies on the top and bottom of all 4 springs. My question is, if I get 17x10.5 wheels in the back wrapped in 315/35/17 tires, along with 17x9 wheels in the front wrapped in 275/40/17 tires, will I need to roll any of my fenders? Thanks!

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
You will likely need to do a little rolling/bending to clear, especially up front. There are some variables due to fitment of tire and off-set of wheels.

Install the wheels/tires and don't drive yet. Do a full-lock of steering wheel in each direction and see how you look. You are gonna want to confirm you have at least 1/2" clearance from ALL edges of fender. As for rear, jack up the axle just inside the wheel so it articulates up into the well and do this for each side individually. I would expect some rubbing on the inside/back wall and maybe the exhaust pipes, but nothing major and shouldn't be anything that could cause any damage.

Now, drive the car and go over some bumps while turning and go slow. Listen/look for fender contact, especially up front. If you are not sure, tape a pice of foam or rubber on the inside of fender that is a little closer to the tire where you suspect possible fender contact. If you take a drive and hit/damage this foam, you should proceed accordingly.

Jazzer :)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I've ran 275's up front but on my stock 17x8's and only rub when locked over hard and just barely ...barely touches the a-arm and barely rubs the plastic inner fender

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have the H&R SS springs w/ iso's on and 17x10.5/17x9 315/275 combo. I didnt roll the fenders and I havnt had any issues. Good luck man.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
No, you won't have to... As long as your wheels have the same offset as most popular 99-04 wheels you should be ok...

I run H&R SS with 17x10.5 and 17x9. Only reason I had to roll my rear fenders is cause of the spacer I run with.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I've seen several posts recently that 275's are too much tire for the front. I'm not arguing that point, I just wonder why the online vendors include them in their tire packages for 17x9 wheels if there are clearance issues?

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
^^^^ yeah it is too much.. If im at a complete stop, i can not turn my wheel all the way to the right or left without hitting the inside of the fender closest to the engine. This is really not a problem. Just don't turn the wheel all the way. this is kinda a pain though when you are parking. But really i don't car. I just have to turn in a little earlier then normal when parking. But during any driving you Never Cut the wheel all the way to the right or left so there is no problem.

So 275 is really only a problem when parking. if that is something that will bother somebody then don't go with that size. But it is avoidable. Im not sure why vendors recommend that size though. maybe to make a few extra bucks.

In my case rolling the fenders in the front wouldn't matter. the tire hits the inside of the fender, not the outside fender lip.

·
Registered
5,472 Posts
275 slows the car down because of resistance and weight when used in the front. Like I said Buggatti found it fine to put only a 265 on the front of their 1010hp Veyron. Why would a little Mustang need them?

255-265 in front.

275-315 in the rear depending on power and rim width. Any more is for show only. I have considered a 335 in the rear.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
jivepepper, 17x10.5 in the rear, and I plan on building up the car to 400 RWHP at the most. 315/35/17 or 275/40/17 in the rear?

·
Registered
980 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And 255/40/17 in the front I take it. Would 255/40/17s in the front also be better for track (not drag) racing? Thanks! :D

·
Registered
257 Posts
i have 275 in the front on 17x9 wheels, the only time i have rubbing issues is when i do full wheel lock to the left or right. But i will have to say when i purchase new tires i wont be running a 275 in the front anymore...not that its a problem or anything, its just like many people said, there's no reason for it to be that wide......unless your doing some auto-crossing :)

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
i have 245's up front on my 17x9's because they were on my old front rims and they actually fit surprisingly well. the rim doesn't stick out more than the tire or anything like i've seen some people have problems with, i'll probably get 255 next time tho. and i haven't had my 315's rub or have any problems yet.

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
275 slows the car down because of resistance and weight when used in the front. Like I said Buggatti found it fine to put only a 265 on the front of their 1010hp Veyron. Why would a little Mustang need them?

255-265 in front.

275-315 in the rear depending on power and rim width. Any more is for show only. I have considered a 335 in the rear.
This is generally done to avoid understeer/oversteer issues on mid-engine rides. Take a look at your upscale Porsche:

Notice that the fronts are much narrower than the rears. This is because the car lacks weight in the front end and would oversteer like a bad dog if it had large meats up there. As it is, it is more balanced in drift because the front will break traction pretty evenly with the rears.

.... as you were :D

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
17x8's with 245/45r17's look best on the front to me with 17x10.5/315 rears. I've had 17x9's with 275's on the front & not only do they look ridiculous IMO (don't let anyone b/s you, in most aplications they stick out too far), they follow every crack, rut, paint line, etc. in/on the road.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If a you decided to go with a staggered look and didn't maintain the same aspect ratio between the front and rear tires would it throw off the speedometer? Ex- 275/40/17 out back and 255/40/17 in front.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
the only time the front vs. rear effect each other is in the opperation of the ABS. the speedometer works off the rear only.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts