Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buyin some new rubber for my car and i've been thinking.....

the recommended tire size for my rim (17x10.5) is the 315/35-17, and some use the 275/40-17 due to more tire options lower prices bla bla bla

My question is if i were to use a tire size somewhere in between such as a 295/35 or a 285/40 or somethin it effects speedo readings. now, i have 3.73 gears and the speed sensor or whatever hasn't been calibrated. does anyone know if theres a tire size out the that would sort of negate the effect?

oh also, i have 275/40's on there now and i can't seem to decide to stick with that size go 315 or see if theres some option in between...

·
Registered
890 Posts
Why not just get another set of 315 because they have more grip than the other options you mentioned. Also the speedo meter should change because of the gears but with the tire and wheel set up you are probobly using 315-35-17 that shoudnt affect the speedometer

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
So long as BOTH the front and rear tires are 25.6" diameter, they speedo will read exactly as it did from the showroom floor. If it is within 1/4" you will not notice a difference in speedo, but ODO would be off after many years of this.

Jazzer :)

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
So long as BOTH the front and rear tires are 25.6" diameter, they speedo will read exactly as it did from the showroom floor. If it is within 1/4" you will not notice a difference in speedo, but ODO would be off after many years of this.

Jazzer :)
this would be true if he still had stock gears in the car.

OP in order to correct the speedo with tire size, you will have a lot of other issues like abs problems. Your best bet you be to get 315s, and eventually a tuner to correct for the gears

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
true true... Well I bought the car with 275s on it and the wearin really bad... I've been reading alot about 315 bs 275 and my 2 biggest concerns are gas mileage suffering and also, living in kansas being hopeless in the snow... Lost cause right. Anyway another thing is I've got eibach sportlines and a flowmaster exhaust... Would 315s rub ? I couldn't find anything on here about 315s on a lowered car... Thanks guys

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
your gas milage should still be around the same and you shouldnt rub at all with 315s. i never had any issues when i had mine. the snow situation, you might want to find a cheap set of v6 rims for snow tires.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
toushe ! Aaah the endless wisdom of this forum is so refreshing lol thanks again everyone

·
Abyssinian of AX
7,994 Posts
this would be true if he still had stock gears in the car... "
Correctomundo, says my Spanish speaking friend :yes

·
Registered
5 Posts
your gas milage should still be around the same and you shouldnt rub at all with 315s. i never had any issues when i had mine. the snow situation, you might want to find a cheap set of v6 rims for snow tires.
agreed 315's are fine.. in the snow it's like a sled

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I'm currently running 275/40-17s on my 10.5" wheel because of snow. You can't get 315/35 all-season tires. 3.73 are 14% lower than 3.27s. To correct your speedometer you would need a tire that has a 14% bigger circumference. This tire would completely eliminate the advantage of 3.73 gears. A 285/55-17 would do it but that's a 29.3" tire!

Reference: Tire Size Calculator - tire & wheel plus sizing

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
315's look badass...no rubbing issues either

·
Registered
376 Posts
You pretty much got the answers you need :pp a tuner should correct your speedo, and I'd stick with 315's, they look awesome.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts