Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have some 17x9 cobra clones with 235/45/17's on them. It makes an awful metalic clunking and banging noise and seems to be binding up on something enough to cause the whole car to jerk when trying to pull into a parking spot. Even while just cruising around above 15mph, jerking the wheel causes a banging noise from the left side, almost like the a sway bar bushing was missing (if you've ever had the a sway bar bushing fall out, you'll know what I mean) I got under the car and turned the wheel from end to end and I don't see the tires hitting anything. Dude I bought them from said they worked fine on his car, but just did not like the look so he was selling them. I thought my wheel bearings or ball joints were shot but I put the stock pony wheels back on and I have no problems at all. WTH are these hitting? There are no marks on the tires or on the car.

My 88 Mustang will be on blocks for a while so I can't try them on it.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I know mine hit my ground effects when I turn to full lock and I get a shudder from the tread grinding away at the ground effect.

·
Registered
299 Posts
If it doesn't do it with the ponies on then it has to be something with the rim. I would checks to make sure that the rim is sitting properly against the rotor and that the lug nuts are tight. Your problem is most likely with the rim it self sounds like improper installation.

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I thought about that and it would explain the clunking but not the jerking and the binding? The first day I put them on and heard the noise even before getting out of my driveway, I decided to check the bearings. They were bad and I ended up replacing the rotors and pads as well but the noise with these rims it still there :(

I'll swap that rim to the back and see what happens, maybe the mating surface is not straight and I got burned by the dude.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I got 17 by 9s on my car and have no problem except they rub a little when you turn the wheel.check your tires

·
Registered
173 Posts
so what is the widest tire that you can go on the front with a 17"by9" rim, cause i want to get cobra wheels for my car. i do not want to run into n/e promblems

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Hey guys sorry if this is alittle off topic, but would 17 by 8's rub as well? Or would 17 by 8's work fine in the front, even when turning?
I was just woundering if there would be any difference between the 17x9's and the 17x8's, thanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I had the cobra's on my 88 LX the tires didnt rub on mine for some reason the Rim rubs on the a-arm though. I cant figure out why. They were 235's.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Yes, the inside of the rims sometimes rub on the A-arms, check that out. You can get rack limiters to fix the problem. Does it only happen when you have the wheel cranked all the way on direction?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
so what is the widest tire that you can go on the front with a 17"by9" rim, cause i want to get cobra wheels for my car. i do not want to run into n/e promblems
i wouldnt go over about a 255/45

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Yes, the inside of the rims sometimes rub on the A-arms, check that out. You can get rack limiters to fix the problem. Does it only happen when you have the wheel cranked all the way on direction?
No, starts about 1/2 way to full lock. The faster I am going, the worse it grinds and pops. Its not rubber hitting because the car would not stutter and make the metalic noises which does indicate something with the arms like you said.

I don't really like the look of the 17 cobras anyway. I'm actually more worried if I have a suspension or steering issue more than getting those tires and rims to fit. With my pony wheels and the stock 225/55/16 tires, I have no problems so I am thinking it really is just the rims hitting and not a problem but why do those rims hit on my car but not on some one elses car? Is this something I should worry about even if I decide keep the pony wheels on or take it as an old car showing signs of age ;)

·
Registered
69 Posts
i have 17x9's on front and back...245/45 up front and 275/45 in the back. They look great, ride great and work fine other than full turn to left or right up front like everyone says..but they are fine

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
i have 17x9's on front and back...245/45 up front and 275/45 in the back. They look great, ride great and work fine other than full turn to left or right up front like everyone says..but they are fine

look at the date of the thread, i think he figured it out by now

1 - 14 of 14 Posts