Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
since i'm in the process of blacking out my car....i know i'm gonna straight up hate the wheels being chrome with all else black!

its proving hard as hell to find some black wheels that i like and can afford.

but anywho.....how much is the step up to 20s gonna slow me down? i like looks and thought of not *having* to lower my car if i get them. but i'm also big on performance and dont want to feel like i just lost 20rwhp either.

i've never had 20s sooooo.....any thoughts?

·
Buy American or GTFO
515 Posts
You could always just powder coat the wheels you have now black. That would save you $$ by not having to buy new wheels, and tires.

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
You wont lose much... If you going from chrome 18s to black 20s, there wont be much of a weight difference. But, you will lose a tad of gearing due to the increased diameter of the wheel, but this can be offset by the tires though. You dont actually lose HP due to increased wheel size, its the added weight ( rotational weight ) and loss of gearing that slows you down.

But Im not really sure you are going to get what your looking for by getting 20s instead of lowering it, as there will still be a large gap in the wheel well ( you will MAYBE lose half to 3/4 of an inch ).

·
booooost'd
7,545 Posts
Going to 20's will make it need to be lowered even more. All that wheel and less tire will make it look worse at stock hieght. Besides, changing wheel size, doesn't change your overall diameter. A 20" and 18" rim are gonna put u at the exact same ride hight;)

·
Registered
13,629 Posts
Rim size along with tire height together is what determines total overall diameter. I can almost guarantee my 18" tires are bigger than anyone's 20"s.
My overall diameter is 28.8". I don't think you can fit much more into our wheelwells.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
It's not the size that slows you down, it's the weight of the wheel/tire combo. Be smart with what wheels you buy, and you won't loose any performance at all.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
just get a SC to offset the weight of the wheels.
problem solved. :D

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well damn...i was hopin the 20s would fill a little more gap. i really dont wanna lower my car cuz i live in rural texas. dont want my **** bottoming out everywhere and i dont feel like paying *that* much attention to it everywhere i go.

·
2011 September ROTM
1,868 Posts
then dont go twentys. you definately have to lower it with 20's or you will get that "donk" look. i put 20's on mine and didn't notice a difference actually was a little better because of the better/wider tires. but like i said it should be lowered. i'm 2.5 in the front and 3 in the back and drive it everywhere

·
IBEATU
5,919 Posts
I honestly felt like my car was a little more sluggish with the 20's. Could have been in my head. Either way, I threw 10 lbs of boost at it a couple weeks later and forgot all about it...

·
All sissies going to Hell!
5,818 Posts
20" shelby razors. And a supercharger. then some suspension.

·
Premium Member
22,435 Posts
It's not much of a difference at all. However if you don't want to pay attention when you drive than I'm not sure you should have 20s..
20" shelby razors. And a supercharger. then some suspension.
Too bad they don't make those damn wheels in a 10". I'd be rolling on them without a doubt if they made a staggered set-up.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Nasty,
If you really like the Razors...just ship two of the rims to that shop in Michigan that widens wheels. I realize it is an extra $500, but for me it would be worth it to get the rims I wanted. I'm going to do that with my FRPP Bullitts.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
That only gets you back your acceleration. Your braking and turning are still worse than before (and even more worse with the added weight of the s/c).

speed is what i need, slowing down is overrated. i havent hit a wall yet.:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.