Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The weather here in Northorn California has been in the high teens and low twenties. On my way to work this morning my heater is blowing warm air and it never got hot enough to fully defrost the windsheild or keep the inside of the car very warm. Is it because my t stat is 180 or do I have another problem. I am thinking I need to step to a 190 for the winter? Will this help keep my car toasty? Thanks for the help.

Mark

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
180 should be good enough to get warm air in the car.

General questions for heating issues.

Are you sure the thermostat in there is actually working and not stuck open. I know the stock temp gauge is a joke but is it at least moving up and indicating something close to normal?

How about the control for hot/cold? Is it moving freely and get you hear it flop when you move it?

You could also have a clogged heater core.

·
Come at me bro
3,135 Posts
sound's like how my truck acts. I believe it doesn't have a thermostat.

be like the diesel truck drivers around here, put a piece of cardboard to cover half the radiator. :eek:

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Everything is new. Rad, t-stat, top end, antifreez, the whole works. I just went out and checked the res and it was full to the cold mark,and the rad is at the top. The air is warm but not hot. Maybe 20 degree weather is to much for the 180. I think I might have to go to 190 for the winter. I know this is the coldest it has been in years here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Everything is new. Rad, t-stat, top end, antifreez, the whole works. I just went out and checked the res and it was full to the cold mark,and the rad is at the top. The air is warm but not hot. Maybe 20 degree weather is to much for the 180. I think I might have to go to 190 for the winter. I know this is the coldest it has been in years here.
Nah, 180* t-stat is good for even the snowbound Yankee States.
1. How is your fan set up?
2. Is your t-stat installed in the proper direction?
3. How is your water pump set up?
4. Does the radiator/radiator hoses get warm?

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stock fan, t-stat correct, new water pump
What do you mean how is your water pump set up?
Radiator and hoses all get warm to hot

·
Registered
127 Posts
Stock fan, t-stat correct, new water pump
What do you mean how is your water pump set up?
Radiator and hoses all get warm to hot
I was asking about the water pump because underdrive setups can have them turning to slow (not pushing enough coolant to the heater core), and some electric setups circulate the coolant too fast for the engine to heat it up properly.

If your radiator and hoses are getting hot, then you need to check your heater supply and return pipes, hoses, and core for pinches, obstructions, etc. May need to flush your heater system.

Your heater control valve could be malfunctioning, too.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will do thanks for the info! Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts