Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running the RHS 180cc Iron heads? I was looking for an affordable head that would outperform the stock E7 heads and not break the bank. I would like a set of aluminum heads but the cheapest set I've seen are the TFS 170cc heads but the flow numbers of the RHS 180's seem fairly impressive. If they are correct and flow that well I was wondering if they would make enough extra power to make up for the added weight 40-50lbs? of the iron heads.

Has anyone ran these and how did they do?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Affordable heads better then E7s are GT40Ps. Get them at a local pick and pull all day for 40 each.
What kind of flow numbers would they get with a minor home porting and up to what HP? I've read somewhere the flow numbers fall off after .400 lift so even a TFS cam would be rarther pointless wouldn't it?

The reason I was looking at the RHS heads and even the World products Sr heads is because I could get a set for probably $800 and the flow numbers are decent up to .500-.600 lift allowing me a broader selection of camshafts and room for expansion in the future.

As I said before I'd love a set of aluminum heads but for several hundred cheaper I can get the iron heads and I don't do any track time. I'm just looking for a hot street ride to keep up with some of these boys around here with these new camaros and challengers which are making some incredible HP with stock engines.

In the future I'll be doing a 347 stroker or just putting a 351w in but in the meantime the heads are going to be the quickest way to get better power.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
What kind of flow numbers would they get with a minor home porting and up to what HP? I've read somewhere the flow numbers fall off after .400 lift so even a TFS cam would be rarther pointless wouldn't it?

The reason I was looking at the RHS heads and even the World products Sr heads is because I could get a set for probably $800 and the flow numbers are decent up to .500-.600 lift allowing me a broader selection of camshafts and room for expansion in the future.

As I said before I'd love a set of aluminum heads but for several hundred cheaper I can get the iron heads and I don't do any track time. I'm just looking for a hot street ride to keep up with some of these boys around here with these new camaros and challengers which are making some incredible HP with stock engines.

In the future I'll be doing a 347 stroker or just putting a 351w in but in the meantime the heads are going to be the quickest way to get better power.
gt40 are iron, there cobra and explorer heads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
gt40 are iron, there cobra and explorer heads.
Yeah I knew they were stock heads, just slightly better than the E7's. I was just curious if they would really be worth it, even with a minor home porting. I read an old post on another forum by tmoss that the flow numbers fall off around .400 lift (I think it was tmoss) so in this case if I used them I'd be better off keeping the stock cam since I'd be limited in my selection anyhow.

I was really hoping to make up to 350-400 RWHP in the future.

I will also be swapping to carb, hopefully very soon. This will reduce a good amount of weight on the front end since the EFI intakes weigh so much and the stock wiring harness has to be a good 30lb worth of wiring. I was considering installing a new fuel tank, fuel pump, and running all new fuel lines to a holley carb. I'll be doing this because the current setup is very old and the lines are very rusty. I really like the clean look of carbs and reduced wiring so this is more a personal preference. We don't have to worry about emissions testing around here so that isn't a problem either.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If you can spend 800 on a set of heads, buy the tf's or afr's used. For an average street car, even some edelbrocks would be just fine. Those should be less money used.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
as far as your cylinder head selection...they all flow better then the stock E7 heads, but some of the differences between heads is the quality, whether it be the valve train quality, the valve seats, valve guides,casting flaws ect.... my understanding is ,some of the other cylinder heads that are vary cheap to buy, give you cheap valve train, and buy the time you upgrade that stuff you could have bought a higher all around quality cylinder head. and the cheaper one are like playing Russian roulette, some time is pays off and you have good luck with them and other time they fall apart.

If the difference between a GOOD part, and a GREAT part is a couple hundred bucks then i guess its all about what you want your project to put out and your wallet.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you can spend 800 on a set of heads, buy the tf's or afr's used. For an average street car, even some edelbrocks would be just fine. Those should be less money used.
Yeah I will actually look for a set of TFS, AFR, or Edelbrocks used but if I can't find any at the time I am looking at cheaper heads that still perform well. I've looked at Procomps, Patriots, etc. but their castings are all made in china and come a little too rough. I'm sure the patriots are better after their cnc machined but still I like the idea of knowing I purchased an American product (nothing against those running procomps).

The Windsor Sr. and RHS heads seem to flow very well so I was merely looking for anyone whos had experience with them in the event I can't find a good used set of aluminum heads.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
as far as your cylinder head selection...they all flow better then the stock E7 heads, but some of the differences between heads is the quality, whether it be the valve train quality, the valve seats, valve guides,casting flaws ect.... my understanding is ,some of the other cylinder heads that are vary cheap to buy, give you cheap valve train, and buy the time you upgrade that stuff you could have bought a higher all around quality cylinder head. and the cheaper one are like playing Russian roulette, some time is pays off and you have good luck with them and other time they fall apart.

If the difference between a GOOD part, and a GREAT part is a couple hundred bucks then i guess its all about what you want your project to put out and your wallet.
Your point is well understood and I agree. That is why I'll be assembling the heads myself. No matter who I buy them from whether it be RHS, WP, AFR, TFS, Dart, etc. I will be buying the heads bare and purchasing good valvetraine components from either TFS or comp cams.

Remember, I am NOT set on any of these brands. In fact I have no particular brand I like over another. I am still searching around for price, quality, flow numbers, and of course peoples opinions on them.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
the classifieds at corral.net are great, vary easy to find some good used heads for around 800, look on there every day for two weeks , i guaranty you'll see 4-5 people selling exactly what you look for of each brand

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Yeah I knew they were stock heads, just slightly better than the E7's. I was just curious if they would really be worth it, even with a minor home porting. I read an old post on another forum by tmoss that the flow numbers fall off around .400 lift (I think it was tmoss) so in this case if I used them I'd be better off keeping the stock cam since I'd be limited in my selection anyhow.

I was really hoping to make up to 350-400 RWHP in the future.

I will also be swapping to carb, hopefully very soon. This will reduce a good amount of weight on the front end since the EFI intakes weigh so much and the stock wiring harness has to be a good 30lb worth of wiring. I was considering installing a new fuel tank, fuel pump, and running all new fuel lines to a holley carb. I'll be doing this because the current setup is very old and the lines are very rusty. I really like the clean look of carbs and reduced wiring so this is more a personal preference. We don't have to worry about emissions testing around here so that isn't a problem either.
If you're doing it for the clean look, that's cool, but there's probably only about 6-7 lbs of wires for the entire system. The EEC is light as a feather and the intakes aren't all that much heavier than a carb intake. All in all, you may save 30lbs total with the intake, less wiring, and removing the stock intake tubing and MAF, ect.. Just saying, don't expect a huge weight drop from the removal. It's not enough to be even close to .1 off the 1/4 mile.

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
I've used the aluminum version of the RHS 180 head on my old 347. I would think the iron version would be the same just iron. I thought they worked great for my application. I have a CNC ported set going on my turbo project. If you can get them for arround $800 new, it would be a good deal. I bought my first set new off of the corral (guy bought them and never used them) for $750!

·
Proud American
11,288 Posts
honestly... I have world windsor Srs on my car... with a head swap i would pick up probably around 45-50 horse... The motor is stock stroke too so we are in the same cubic inch range. I would be looking for a set of used TFS 205s atleast IMO... 170s are way too small and 190s are even small IMO for that many cubic inches.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts