Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
if you aint 1st-your last
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looing into getting new shoes and socks for my baby 06gt. looking into 18x8 255a ALL the way around or 18x9s front 18x10 back. i need help decided. and tips pros cons what you guys/ladies have done. anythign will help, thanks again guys.

:70:

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
Staggered setup is usually better for looks only, Mustangs understeer as it is so putting more rubber on the back will only make that worse. Unless of course you have a lot of power and need wider tires to put it down, and don't care about handling as much as launching.
Non-staggered is better for tire wear and being able to rotate tires, not to mention cheaper to buy and replace.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
i went with the staggered look and its looks like SEX. needs more wider in the back though. lol i do want to get a new set for track use

·
cammed, geared, and blown
1,919 Posts
Staggered looks better in my opinion, while same size all around would be the better choice for handling/autocross. Lots of people have a set of dedicated track wheels/tires, so your street setup can be more about looks if you go that direction.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
I would go staggered but remeber that you can still fit a 255 or something close to it on a 10in rim, so if you really want to step up to a bigger tire you have enough rim to do so.

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
Really depends on why you're doing it. If it's aesthetics, do whatever you think looks best. Everyone has an opinion here, and the only one that matters is yours.

For a DD, the 18x8s are going to be lighter, and run a lighter, skinnier tire, which means that you're going to get slightly better fuel economy. You'll also get slightly less road noise, and tires will be cheaper. Also, you can rotate your tires front to rear, so you'll get extra life out of each set, further reducing your future tire costs.

For a weekend warrior hitting the drag strip, I'd still go 18x8s on all four, and then but an extra set of rear wheels to put some proper DRs/slicks/whatever on. An extra couple inches of all-season rubber is just not going to be comparable to a proper dragrace tire.

For a corner carver, I'd go 18x9s on all four, but stay with a 255 or 265. If you do go this route, put some research into finding lightweight wheels that fit your budget, an extra pound or two in the wheels does make a difference being both rotating and unsprung.

·
No longer Maching out...
3,368 Posts
Staggered wheels are sweeeeettt!

·
if you aint 1st-your last
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yea im pushin like 390hp 405ish tq...really looking into the 18x9s 255,45's...i got a couple of buddys who did staggered i really just didnt know the pros or cons about it.

·
At the Apex pulling 1.28g
6,578 Posts
255 on a 10" rim? I'd say 275 is minimum.
While I agree it would be a waste of a 10" rim, 255mm's is 10" (254mm) with a mm to spare. Ideally, that is probably the smallest tire you want on that rim (you CAN go smaller, but lets face it, you can fit a lot more on it). In general, on street tires staying +/-1" of the rim width in tire width gives you the best contact patch and handling response. All bets are off on slicks of any type. For instance the Hoosier A6 is designed to be crammed on narrow rims. In stock classes in autocross 295 wide Hoosier A6's find themselves frequently mounted on 8.5" wide rims.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
I think the OP was saying 255's on the 8" rims OR staggered 9" & 10" rims.

I run staggered and like it was said before really kind of sucks for taking corners. Of course I don't have a front sway bar and soft springs and taller in the back so it handles like crap anyways. All depends on how you want to drive it.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Hey boss were you talking about my post?

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
While I agree it would be a waste of a 10" rim, 255mm's is 10" (254mm) with a mm to spare. Ideally, that is probably the smallest tire you want on that rim (you CAN go smaller, but lets face it, you can fit a lot more on it). In general, on street tires staying +/-1" of the rim width in tire width gives you the best contact patch and handling response. All bets are off on slicks of any type. For instance the Hoosier A6 is designed to be crammed on narrow rims. In stock classes in autocross 295 wide Hoosier A6's find themselves frequently mounted on 8.5" wide rims.
I was just speaking from experience as I had 10.5s on my '01 with 275s on them and they looked a bit stretched, so a 255 on a 10" would likely look stretched as well. I liked it personally, but it seemed I was alone in that.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Hey boss were you talking about my post?
Nobody in particular. Just seemed like everyone thought the OP was going to do 255's on a 10".

·
Priest of the Car Gods
17,313 Posts
I was just speaking from experience as I had 10.5s on my '01 with 275s on them and they looked a bit stretched, so a 255 on a 10" would likely look stretched as well. I liked it personally, but it seemed I was alone in that.
If you like a the stretched look, don't listen to [most of] these guys. They think that a 275 is the absolute minimum for a 9" wheel. I have 255-width RA1s on a set of 17x9s and the sidewall is straight up-and-down.

I will say if you're running stretched, better drop that thing to get rid of some fender gap. Stretched tires + stock ride height only exacerbates the 4x4 stance.

·
Watch n learn
876 Posts
^If youre talking about me, I never said that, I said that a 275 would be minimum for a 10" wheel. Here's my old car, 9"front with 245/45, 10.5" rear with 275/40, tires are BFG G-force, they run about average for width, Goodyears usually run a bit wider.

I thought it looked sweet, but was often asked why the tires were "small", lol. I thought it was sized perfect, planned to lower the car as well but it was a Bullitt and it rode and handled so well I just left it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts