Modded Mustang Forums banner

41 - 60 of 195 Posts

·
Ice Cream Truck Driver
5,465 Posts
i was diggin these infidel grips but im not a soldier, and theyre out of stock :(

im looking at these, but im trying to get a hold of the dude selling em so i can inquire about them

but im looooooving these alumagrips :drool

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
i said, "you're my mother and my shoes are very fat"

lol, speaking of urdu (pun lol), i used to work with a dude from pakistan and he used to serenade me with urdu love songs. such a beautiful language.

also, i shot my 1911 today. nothing serious, i just set up a couple bottles of mtn dew, a roll of magazines (reading kind, not ammo kind), a frizbee, a board with a target spray painted on it, a light bulb, and a couple aerosol cans (dangerous i know, but so cool), and me and my brothers wasted a box of ammo on it. it shoots really good, but hot damn is that mofo loud. i never wore plugs when i shot my issue M4, but i definitely need some plugs for this pistol. my ears are still ringing. i cleaned her really good too. i'm in love and i am officially hooked on 1911's

edit: pic. not the greatest pic, but it's all i can do with thrash's camera

[/IMG]

·
:)
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Take off the grips. Under the right grip, on the frame, it should say where it was built amd what year it was built. At least mines does. My Springfield GI has the build location and 2003 etched in. I always knew it was one of the first models of the GI that Springfield started selling in 2003. They came with black plastic checkered grips, but later Springfield sent the classic Brown plastic grips to people who's 1911s came with the black grips. I know one of the previous two owners changed the grips to the walnut US marked grips that Springfield replaced the Brown plastic grips with. Honestly I'd rather have the brown plastic checkered ones, which is why I switched to checkered wood grips to mimic the look of the originals. but with wood.

And when I first shot my 1911 (first real handgun I ever shot), I went through 100 rounds of 230 gr round nose FMJ's in probably under 20 minutes not counting cease fires. I had 0 malfunctions except for the last 100th round somehow chambered but jumped in front of the extractor and the slide didn't fully go into battery. I ran it through again and it worked fine. Need to shoot again soon and test out these winchester ranger T hollow points and 185 gr Remington UMC's. Unlike you I don't own any nearby land where I can go shooting. We own land in West Texas that is perfect for shooting, but the exact location isn't marked, its complicated, and West Texas is far as hell, almost near New Mexico and dirty Mexico.

And I never considered Urdu to be a beautiful language lol

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
That grip, in Arabic, reads "Kafir" and that means nonbeliever, or in religious context, non Muslim.
Fun fact for anyone that cares (probably no one): the province of Nuristan in Afghanistan used to be called Kafiristan, or in English, the land of the non-believers. Afghans were at one point a very progressive culture and were very tolerant of other religions. Since the Soviet-Afghan war and the Taliban movement, all of that has changed.

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
Ok, per Springfield:

Built on July 1988 in Geneseo IL.
This was about the time that Springfield switched from blueing to parkarizing and oddly, their records say this firearm was parkarized when it is clearly blue (could've been the PO). This was also before Springfield introduced different models and instead just produced standard 1911's in mass. But to compare it to something, it is kind of a medium between the GI and the MILSPEC.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok, per Springfield:

Built on July 1988 in Geneseo IL.
This was about the time that Springfield switched from blueing to parkarizing and oddly, their records say this firearm was parkarized when it is clearly blue (could've been the PO). This was also before Springfield introduced different models and instead just produced standard 1911's in mass. But to compare it to something, it is kind of a medium between the GI and the MILSPEC.
It's a "mil spec" not the gi mil spec. Finger reliefs and lowered ejection port show that. The hammer is a commander hammer(common swap) and the grips look new and like rosewood. Since the ejection port is lowered and not flared, while the serrations are slanted, the silde you can tell it was either a custom job or old(80's sounds right). I'm not sure about the stainless barrel, I don't recall if they were standard on mil specs or not. A beaver tail safety fit(not much is actualy "drop in" so have one fit nicely) will make shooting a lot more fun.

...it wouldn't be a bad idea to get new springs. 23-25# for the mainspring, 15-17# for the recoil spring and "extra power" firing pin spring. Get a new mag spring and compare the current mag springs to see if you should replace those. A well tuned 1911 shoots awesome! Second to none!

·
Not Banned
6,620 Posts
A beaver tail safety fit(not much is actualy "drop in" so have one fit nicely) will make shooting a lot more fun.

...it wouldn't be a bad idea to get new springs. 23-25# for the mainspring, 15-17# for the recoil spring and "extra power" firing pin spring. Get a new mag spring and compare the current mag springs to see if you should replace those. A well tuned 1911 shoots awesome! Second to none!
Thanks for the tips. i'll definitely look into it. reps

·
:)
11,583 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Nice to see you actually have it figured out now lol. So since Springfield only made standard 1911s at the time, this guy made it into what he could. It's crazy that he lowered the port, had new sights installed, changed the finish to blued, possible fitted a new barrel, trigger, and hammer. But left the A1 grip safety on the gun lol. Usually you change that with the hammer, but I guess you don't have to with a commander hammer. Maybe it just worked for him and he didn't need a beavertail. My standard grip safety works just fine with a high grip, so I don't have a need to change it out until it spontaneously breaks from being mim LOL.

I think hikock45 has a YouTube video of him shooting one of those in original form that he won in 1990. It could be the same as your 1988, so you can see how it used to look and figure out what exactly the previous owner changed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
My favorite grips.
Aliens?

VZ Aliens

No way your guns will slip with these grips.

Hell any of the VZ grips are great.

·
Ice Cream Truck Driver
5,465 Posts
i looked through VZ, couldnt find find any that appealed to me, but i do wanna try one of the gator backs. but ima put 500 rounds with my stock grips since they feel good to me and we will see.

*PEOPLE*

SHOW ME SUM GRIPZ!

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My favorite grips.
Aliens?

VZ Aliens

No way your guns will slip with these grips.

Hell any of the VZ grips are great.
I agree I have the gray ones on mine. They feel so nice.

41 - 60 of 195 Posts