Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few questions about 1966 mustangs.

1) How do u know if its a v6, v8 or gt (if they made gt's in 66)
2) Would a v6 or v8 convertible in good or ok condition be worth 12,000 (not sure which because i have been getting crappy pics from a girls cell. Its my friends granddads mustang.)
3) Should a 17 year old get a 1966 stang
4) Would it be better for me to get a 2000 to 2004 model for around 8,000

The most i wanna pay for a mustang is 8,000 but for a classic (and the fact i know the guys grandson i could work out payment plans.) i think i could go up to that price if it is worth it. I will hopfully get some better pics.

Pics i asked for are:

1) Front
2) Back
3) Both sides (2 on each side. 1 of the back half and 1 of the front half)
4) If possible the under side
5) Engine
6) Cloth top (2) one under and one top
7) Dash
8) Seats
(the person said they will go way over board with a few shots of each that i asked for if possible.)

Specs i asked for:

1) Type (v6,v8, or GT if they make GT convertibles)
2) What if any mods
3) Mileage
4) All accidents its been in (if any)
5) All new parts (and if they are because they are upgraded or if they just went bad.)
6) Reason for selling it (already know but asked its because he has it in a garage and doesn't drive it much and has a few other cars and needs the space.)
7) HP and Torq (sorry didn't know how to spell it.)

So do u guys think i have everything covered or is there other things i should get pics of or things i need to ask. I do have a a Mechanic that can take a look at it for me. My step dad is also good with cars (or so he says :lmao ). Can get the funding for it to if i have to.

Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
890 Posts
First off there would be no v6 in it (not if it was stock anyhow), it would either be an inline 6 (I6) or a v8. A convertible in good+ condition can often go for $12,000 or more. I will not comment on whether you should or shouldn't as that's not for me to determine, but I will offer advice and give you some things to consider if you would like for me to. And more or less the same answer for your classic vs. new question.

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea i will take any and all advise.

now what is the difference between a v6 and an inline6 (16)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
v6 has spark plugs on both sides,inline 6 has 6 plugs on the same side.hope this helps.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I'm just going to list cons for classic vs. new.
At 17 a classic car will be much higher to insure than another car especially since it is a convertible and even higher if it's a v8. If you were to get in an accident there's not as much safety gear incorporated into the car to protect you. Back then safety wasn't as large a concern as it is today and so cars weren't designed in ways to react well to a crash. And it being a convertible if a crash were to ensue and the vehicle rolled over your chances of survival would be minimal. Mileage will be fairly disheartening if you go with a classic v8 (especially if you get the inkling to upgrade or modify the engine. Remember 4 barrels will give you more joy at the jump, but less fun at the pump. lol) and if it's a 6 cylinder it will still get less mileage than a newer v6 due to technology and etc.
With a new mustang you will still have high insurance (as high as the classic you're considering idk, but depending on the trim level and details of both cars it could be higher OR lower). A lot of people have them so it's not like you're going to be really unique unless its a Cobra or a special edition 'Stang or you just put a lot of work/money into it. Oh and two words. Cop. Bait.
Am I trying to discourage you from owning a mustang? No, by all means. The mustang community is one of the greatest that a person can be a part of and associate themselves with. Honestly if you want my opinion, I say buy a classic, but look for a coupe (any year). They will save you some on insurance over the convertible and you can find them for MUCH less than that $12,000 asking price on the convertible. Drivable classic mustang coupes can be found on craigslist, in wheels for you, and in auto trader for $1500 (occasionally even less) up to $8-9000 (there are some that range even higher but that would defeat the point of buying a coupe over the mentioned convertible to save money). The extra money you could be put towards an infinite number of things, but I think the ones involving the car are the ones you probably care about most. You can put it towards the insurance, towards gas if you want a v8, to upgrading the car whether it be to the motor, appearance, or whatever, and things of that nature.
Hope that helped some.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
One thing I will say about old 66 Mustangs is that they are NOTHING like a modern car. Unless you have a modern suspension and braking system installed it will be a sled that takes a long time to stop. I have a 66 convertible w/ original suspension and brakes. It does not like to stop and feels like a sled. If someone slams on their brakes infront of you, there better be lots of room between you and them or they will stop quicker than you can.

Not only that, 66 convertible doesn't have a collapsable steering column and only lap belts. I wouldn't recommend an old Mustang as a normal/DD w/out some upgrades from stock.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts