Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took this in trade toward some labor on a 68 Shelby we painted. It had a 302 with a C4. I started out wanting to build it with the Trans Am Racing look. I had to replace the floor pans, torque boxes, trunk floors and a few other patches. I flared the fenders and quarters a little and bonded in the Shelby end caps. I went with the Rod & Custom Mustang II front suspension and have decided to run a 4.6 engine and trans out of my Dad's wrecked 1995 T-bird. This will be a long term project since it is my car and I have a lot of customer cars that come first. It will take a little time to get you updated.

Here are a couple of pictures showing how I flared the fenders and quarters. I cut the fenders leaving them attached at the bottom and than added about 1 1/2 to the flare.

The rears were a lot harder because you have the inner rear wheel well to flare also.

Rod & Custom Motorsports front and rear suspension.

The engine compartment is ready for paint.

Mock up of rear suspension

Bottom of body epoxy primed and than sprayed with SPI bedliner

I thought I would give you an update with the Rod & Custom coil over front suspension installed.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Rod & Custom coil over rear suspension in my Coupe. The rear center section is not installed yet. This is the first time I have installed everything on the car with a 9" rear end out of a 1963 Galaxie.

I changed my mind on the taillights. I was going to put a deluxe ribbed taillight panel in and I had cut out the original taillights. Now I have decided to french them in instead. I had put a reproduction taillight panel in our Eleanor project and cut out the original taillight mounting area.

The reproduction taillight mounting area was about 1/4" to big so Brian cut it down and welded studs on it.

Brian welded it back in and now has to grind the welds.

·
Lost in the 60's
2,247 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any chance you could post some details on frenching the tail lights? I've been looking for a kit to do this and can't find one, so I guess I'll have to roll my own.
Use an old gasket and taillight and bolt on 1/4" studs than weld the studs to your taillight panel. Grind the welds and than use a little filler.

The only reason we used a piece from another taillight panel is because I had ruined mine and had to replace that section

After the welds were ground

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The cowl vents were filled in along with the heater holes in the firewall

I removed the drip rails

Bodywork on the flares

Black SPI epoxy primer and than sprayed 2 costs of gray Slick Sand polyester primer

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
:eek: I love those frenched tail lights, I would be afraid to try it on my own and a shop would probably charge alot for it. Definitly on my list of what I want now. :D looks amazing.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^This, and maybe a photo or two of that Sierra XR4i. Kinda curious whats going on with that as well. I love those flared fenders though :drool that is one more thing you added on my list of wants. Along with those frenched tail lights.
We have stopped working on the Cosworth powered Merkur

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I did not like all the gaps on the fiberglass rear bumper so I narrowed it and extended the ends to meet the end caps.

The deck lid sticks out to far on the bottom

I added fiberglass to the back and sanded the front to match the end caps

1 - 20 of 129 Posts