Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I'm in the process of getting a 68 mustang was wondering how tough of a fix this is. I'll post the pic. I'm going to see the car Saturday but before I do I want to make sure it's fixable. He says it's the only part of the car that's bad and that, that hole doesn't lead to the trunk. Let me know thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
That is not an easy fix. And sadly I doubt that is all there is to fix. As rotted as that looks, there will be more. Check the floorboards from underneath, check the bottom of the rear quarters, check the bottoms of the doors, check the cowl (up under the dash). Also it looks like that car has a vinyl roof, you can almost bet half of the metal under that vinyl looks like the hole on the back deck. I hate to rain on a parade, I just don't want to see you get yourself in over your head and find that you need to spend thousands on metal work.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Everything is 'fixable" its only a matter of cost or time/skill. Don't be afraid of rust, just be sure you think about the potential issues you may have to fix because of it. These cars aren't getting any easier to find, if thats the biggest issue you have to deal with then you're doing ok.

Be sure to check the cowl as AJ mentioned, thats the bad spot.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good I guess i pass on it. It's the only original v8 car for a decent price. I'm going to look into some 6 cylinders then they are a bit cheaper. Planning on taking engine out and putting a 351c in there.

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
Be careful with that as well. A six to eight swap can run almost 3K over the cost of the engine. You have to upgrade the entire suspension system, brakes, fuel system etc. I'm not saying it can't be done, just be careful.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I've seen people basically replace an entire car before so you can fix rust it just takes time and money. Can't see the picture so I can't comment further

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
I haven't been on in forever, hey guys. But it's true rust does suck and is a pain but all is fixable. I need to tackle my floor board since it is horrible. All caused by the leaking cowl as stated by other it leaked into the car over the years and sat on the floor board. If you need a temp. fix for this until you can get it done they sell cowl covers which is what I run and have never had an issue with it.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
That looks nice, but you really wanna look at the floor boards and in the cowl vents. If its not too far away, its always worth stopping by and actually get on the ground and look at the underside. Especially right where your feet/legs would be in the car.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I am close to it about a 30 minute drive. I'm planning on doing all of that. Like I said it's the only running 8 cylinder out here in California for a decent price. If you say that spot behind the rear window is fixable then hopefully I can get a good deal on it.

·
Registered
3,813 Posts
Anything is fixable, but that hole goes somewhere, so be sure to look real well in the trunk, Hell, ask them to pull the rear seat (its only 2 bolts) to make sure nothing crazy is hiding behind it.

·
DEC '12 ROTM CO-Winner
5,081 Posts
Anything is fixable, but that hole goes somewhere, so be sure to look real well in the trunk, Hell, ask them to pull the rear seat (its only 2 bolts) to make sure nothing crazy is hiding behind it.
:yes +1 the whole rear seat can be out in a no time at all. Definitely worth it to check back there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's very good advice I wouldn't have thought of that. I'll make sure to get a close look at everything. I'll update to see if I purchased it or not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts