Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys what's up? I have a 69 fastback I'm working on with a 302 in it. When I bought the car, the only gauge that worked was the fuel gauge. I'm currently working my way through the gauges and I am on the oil pressure gauge now.

My car didnt come with the sending unit when I bought it so I ordered one. The threads on the sending unit are 1/2" and the threads on the sending unit extension are 1/8". Did I get the wrong sending unit or do I just need an adaptor?

I'm also installing a mechanical water temp gauge and I need to know where an additional port in order to install the sending unit for that.

·
Premium Member
2,247 Posts
It is easy to make the gauges you have work again

Since your fuel gauge is working that means that the constant voltage regulator on the instrument panel is working. this is what it looks like.

This is the part that makes the gauges work. How it works is. It is like a turn signal flash bulb. You put 12V in and it puts out a blinking 12V.

If your oil and your temp gauges is not working. Take a test light to the wire that is on the oil "White w/Red stripe" and Temp " Red w/White Stripe" sending units. pull the wire off and turn the key to on. useing the test light see if there is a blinking 12v.

If yes ground the wire and the gauge will sweep to full. If it does you need a new sending unit for a Gauge car.

If no check with the test light at the gauge test to se if you have a blinking 12V.

If yes ground the other side of the gauge and see if it sweep to full. If does your conection on the back of the panel is bad. Replace the printed curcit board.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts