Modded Mustang Forums banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
MM's DRUNKEN SAILOR & master **** shoveler
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
thats a big old maybe lol. im working on an update now. short story, rod knock.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Alright here is the plan that i think im going to go with guys.

Leave the bike sit for now and work on my other one. Order a top end gasket set. new intake seals,new exhaust clamps, and a carb rebuild kit.

going to start it off easy and try to squeak by by replacing the front cyl head gasket. pushrod seals intake seals and such. Also i think im going to replace the genny. i have a cycle electric genny that is ready to be installed. and since for some reason the genny was making A LOT of noise when i used my redneck stethiscope it would just make me fee safer.

If i pull the head gasket and the front cyl has any scoring then im going to pull the motor...again...put my other top end on it.

since im going to replace the genny ill check the cams and tappets and replace them if needed.

i was trying to get out of this with out doing motor work....but doesnt look like im going to get that lucky.

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

went ahead and started knocking things off the list above. first was to adjust the pushrods...

them things were tighter than a 12 year olds butt hole. seriously. found one that was bent and changed it out with one off the donor motor.

It does run better. but there is still a tick that i can hear. its not very loud not though. i also havent rode it to see if it changes with speed and engine load yet....im still in my pajamas....ill take it for a short spin this afternoon.

Also let me run this pas you experts.

The noise sounded louder when i held my ear near the carb. but using a redneck stethiscope it sounds like its coming FROM the genny. i put the air filter on and now i cant really hear it while its idling or revving. forgot to check the genny though. was in a hurry to come in and sit on the couch. any idea what the hell that noise could be?

Im still planning on doin the head gasket soon. i just want to make sure its the only problem. so i dont have to tear it apart 38 more times.

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

Alright. so i started it and tried to run it around the block. it started to spit and sputter and die under 1/4 throttle. brought it back to the house and there was sure enough oil leaking from between the head. It still starts right up and itdles good and i can still head something clanking in there.

I took the head off my other motor that has been ran once for under 10 minutes.

then i went and took the head off of the bike in question.

i noticed a lot of carbon build up in here. and it was all pretty wet. so i figured im running rich. Also the spark plugs are pretty screwed up. i have another pair ready to go in.

here is the head i took off.

Found out the cyl on here has been bored out to .060. more than i like but not too much. i have a top end that is bored .020 over that ill put on if this head gasket doesnt fix it.

cylinder walls look good though! i poured some oil on top of the pistons and none of it leaked by.

here you can see the head gasket. The black spots you see coming from the oil channels im guessing is where the oil is traveling and leaking down the front of the jug.

Tomorrow im going to go ahead and take the cam cover off and replace the genorator with my CE genny. and check the cams and tappets for ware while im in there. they did get ran on low to no oil after all.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
man where to start with this pile of parts that i got on my hands.....

I've been tinkering with her here and there through the week. havent had the time or money to do what i want with her. But i got a glimmer of hope in the cash department.

I found out a few days ago that i get my pay raise on teh 16th of december. which will add about 800 bucks a month to my income starting on the first. I'm really considering not telling my fiancee about it and just buying new crap for the garage....how long do you guys think i can get by with that?

Anyways on to what yall wanted to see.

I found where my clinkity clank was coming from. It was the reese or race or w/e you call it and wrist pin set up. scratched my reese/race thing pretty good and allowed the piston to turn a little bit by hand. which means a LOT under compression.

you can see the grooves pretty easily.

Also measured my rod play. the manual says 3/64" and im just under that between 2/64" and 3/64" the bottom end will be rebuilt. ill go into that later.

I took the jug off and it looks freaking good! I would even venture out to maybe use it again. Its already bored to .060 over so ill probobly hone it gap the piston slide it in the jug wrap it in plastic and put it on the shelf for emergencies.

Also pulled each one of the cams out and did a VERY close inspection of every tooth. every lobe. EVERYTHING! the bearings in the case seem to still be fine. And i assembled the cams in the cam cover and they all moved smoothly.

I will probobly chop that cam cover down to as close to nothing as i can. Make a sleek clean looking short chop cluster f*ck!

Also i gapped the cams. they already had shims on them i marked them to which cam they need to go on. Some people say use shims some say dont. my builder says do so i will. They all set at roughly .012 and .015 Manual says keep it under .020 if i remember right.

Also poured some oil in the old head. it leaked out after a few hours so i will do my first rebuild on that when i need to. For now i have a set of freshly rebuilt heads to put on it.

Also called my engine guy. I dont feel comfortable nor do i have the tools to break into the cases. He is going to charge me round about $350 to pull the clutch and trans, true the flywheel and replace the rods and bearing. of course im buying parts too. I can live with that price for quality work.

And now you guys are updated on my cluster f*ck. Let me know what ya think!

Also whever told me they wished my original planned build had more details on engine building....**** YOU!

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Alright so its been WEEKS but ive been busy with real life and couldnt get into the garage....You know...xmas, new years, parents coming down, fiancee wrecked my truck, buddy of mine moved down here.

Today i got out into the garage at round about 10am. and started turning wrenches.

When i left you i had a bad wrist pin and a wiggly rod bearing in the cluster f*ck.

This morning i went ahead and tore the engine out and ripped the rest of it apart, got everything inventoried and ready to go back in. and the engine is ready to head down to my greybeard builder this afternoon. getting a split cases rebuild.

Engine ready to go to builder.

when i took the read jug and piston off i found that it was scarring pretty good. so if it didnt blow up when it did it wouldnt have been much longer.

Piston

scarred jug.

went ahead and labeled that jug and throw it on the "rebuild table" with all the other thing i gotta get parts for and rebuild.

parts ready for re-install.

And here is how the bike is currently sitting. Just waiting for this motor to get dropped off!

This might be the last update on the Cluster F*ck for a few weeks until i get the bottom end back. But fear not! i have a thread going for my other build the "ugly duck" she is in the teardown stages right now.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hey man sorry I haven't checked in lately.

Unfortunate that the joy was short lived but I am sure it will be all worth it when you are done and now you wont have to worry about the condition of the motor.

Ill check out your other thread too.

Keep fighting the good fight :thumb:

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Yeah ive never let a machine kick my ass and im not about too with this one. Im saving up money right now. The engine is at my builder.

My other bike is sitting waiting on money for the parts lol. i need parts money!

goal is to have both bikes by daytona bike week.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
My god, where to start...where to start:confused:

Okay lets start with that engine i took down to my builder. that mother ****er packed up his **** and left. its been about a year and i havent heard from him about the motor at all. his house is vacant. no idea where he dissapeared to with $350 and my motor. But i have others. But im not going to a backyard mechanic again. so i had to SAVE!

Got close to saving up what i needed to go to a shop and BAM! My fiancee runs off with a guy I considered my best friend and brother. so now i had all the bills to take car of by myself....bye bye savings lol. Anyways i was able to get back on my feet after a few months and was able to pick this build back up where I left off.

OKAY! enough sob story and feeling sorry for myself. I live in Jacksonville FL and work in Mayport FL. There is a new shop that opened up a few months back called Dirtbag Choppers, heard nothing but good from them so i gave them a call. Down here everywhere I called they wanted $1500 or more to 110% rebuild an ironhead motor. Jeff, owner of Dirtbag, said he would do it for $1200. And if i had any spare parts to bring them in and we can talk prices. I showed up at his shop with my 72 ironhead engine and a truckload of parts. ended up taking what he wanted and credited me $600 for it.

A short three weeks later and I get a phone call to pick it up! Along with multiple phone calls every time anything of question was brought up. I cant speak highly enough of these guys. Really helped me out.

It sat for about a week until i could get paid and i started picking up the things needed, wire, heat shrink, fuses, bolts, connections, the stuff you never think about.

And i did my once over on the engine before i threw it in the frame. found a hole in the bottom of the cam chest that would obviously leak oil all damn day long! I think it was plugged but when I trimmed the cam chest I ground the lead plug out on accident. Anyways took the cover off and tapped it out and put a plug in it. Easy day just time consuming.

After that it was time to put the motor in. Female friend of mine left a pink blanket thing out in the garage. was the perfect size to set the frame and engine on!

And here is how the Cluster **** sits RIGHT NOW!

Long night last night but it was VERY productive!

Still have a lot of work to do. wiring, cables, brakes, to name a few. Anyways I should be back to semi regular updates now lol.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
, Here is how she will sit tonight. Doesnt look like a lot but it actaully is. Ignition is done oil lines ran all the mounts are on and tourqed and wiring is started

Now please excuse me while i drink an un-responsible amount of alcohol and watch football!

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Alright. i feel sort of bad for how long these updates are taking. lol. but im working around 18 hours a day 6 days a week here. doing what i can! lol.

It sat for a few weeks since the last update. and i started wiring...and i HATE wiring lol. its not hard, especially on an ironhead. but its still not my forte'.

I also feel bad that i havent been stopping and taking pictures while im working. just been drinking beer relaxing and tinkering.

Anyways monday i went ahead and got the clutch cable on and adjusted. i think its a little tight but i like it that way! Illl adjust it more precisely once the damn thing moves.

Also had a problem with one of my primary bolt holes. Had to CAREFULLY tap it and clean it out. just 45 years of gunk in there. so now primary isnt leaking!

Here is how she sat when i headed inside for bed that night.

The next day i said screw it and sat down and finished wiring All of the few wires i had left anyways. hooked everything up. turned the key LIGHTS! poured a little oil in each cylinder and pushed the button SHE CRANKED! moving right along!

Only thing is i cant tell if oil is circulating. the horseshoe tank wont let me see the return. actually as im typing this i just realized i can just pop the return line off and see what comes out. so i might do that in a minute its cheap and easy! And here is how she sat when i went to bed tuesday night!

This weekend im going to weld a frame for my rear fender, and work on mounting it better. it flexes with my 120 pound girlfriend on there. when my 225 lbs fat ass bounces back and lands on the fender ill rip the tire apart lol.

And since i have to do a lot of metal work saturday anyways, making a smoker for a buddy in exchange for a home brewing set up. i figured i might as well play with the finder.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Alright. So Friday i ended up at a local marine MC clubhouse then about 10:30 i ended up at a strip club with some buddies. Then about 3am my buddies house turned into the strip club after party. and i punched the clock for work at 7am saturday. needless to say i did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that day after work. except slept.

so sunday around noon i made my way into the garage. took the fender off the bike and spend the day making it more sturdy. first thing i did was take a grinder to it and strip all the paint.

Then i had to think of a way to get this 5/16" steel rod to fit the outline of the fender lol. I have a map gas torch but it was just taking way too damn long. so i reverted to my tried and true charcoal fire. cot the coals hot and threw the metal rods on it. BAM starts pouring rain. At this point i figured im not supposed to use heat for this. so i stuck the rods in a vice and cut about 3/4ths of the way through them. and just bent them back and fourth until they fit.

worked pretty good! spot welded a few spots and finessed it in place with a hammer. and now it went from flexing when my 120 # girl sat on it to where i can stand on it and jump a little and it doesnt flex at all. Im not a professional welder and not sure how to test things, but ill say its good. lol.

tomorrow i think im going to throw around the idea of putting an oil filter some place. and paint the fender.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
so i spent a couple of hours out in the garage today. like 7 hours maybe lol. and when i step back and take everything in all i did was tweak my sissy bar a bit weld a new fender mount bar thing and fit the license plate of the sissy bar. and made a bracket and mounted the oil filter.

anyways picture time.

sissy bar was twisted a **** hair to the left so i stretched it back. really centered stuff up. then welded the plate mount on. and the light will go above that. should look pretty spiffy!

and here is what i did to the oil filter set up. it looks like it sticks out a lot in the pictures. but once i notch the fender it will fit and look a lot smaller.

Also there is about 2.5" of space between the filter and tire. so no worries there. few more pictures.

havent ran the hoses yet but there is more than enough room.

and a few drunk pictures of DW's chop shop lol.

I'll keep yall updated. should be ready to fire it off in a day or so.

·
4,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
IT STARTS! WOOOO! idles really high and the idle screw isnt changing anything. so im going to get new intake seals. still need to put on the footpegs and tighten a few bolts. but overall...

SHE LIVES!!!!!!! THE CLUSTER F*CK LIVES!!!!!!!

·
The Boss is in
23,756 Posts
I just read through this. Good job, I'm glad to see it started. Post again when you have it running good.

61 - 73 of 73 Posts