Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys I have a 78 F150 with the 351M. I finally got the electric choke working but the fast idle wasn't. I pulled the cover off the fast idle solenoid and the wires were stripped out, I ended up re-soldering it and it works. Only problem is, after you stab the throttle and it idles up, it never comes back down. Unless I shut the truck off.

Right now I have it backed off quite a bit so it doesn't really idle up much, but I'd like it to work properly. I don't really know how its supposed to work, I'm learning as I go.

Thanks.

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Is the throttle plate getting stuck? if you disconnect the choke does it drop? You might need a new fast idle solenoid.

Don't worry i feel your carb pains, i'm DD'ing an '89 YJ 4.2. So i ended up just buying a whole new carb for it because the throttle linkage where it meet the carb casting was so warn out it was causing a vacuum leak.

·
gtscrewd
5,228 Posts
pics! love the old ones dont see many around here anymore

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the throttle plate getting stuck? if you disconnect the choke does it drop? You might need a new fast idle solenoid.

Don't worry i feel your carb pains, i'm DD'ing an '89 YJ 4.2. So i ended up just buying a whole new carb for it because the throttle linkage where it meet the carb casting was so warn out it was causing a vacuum leak.
I know the throttle isn't getting stuck, before we ****ed with it, it actually ran pretty well. Lol. It just hated the cold and took forever to warm up.

It would work perfectly if the fast idle solenoid would pull its self back in. Its just a little rod that pushes on the throttle to bump it up when its cold. I was talking to dad and he recalls being told at one point that they pull back in when they get a voltage jump. IE kick the throttle when its warm. Didn't work.

Only picture I have.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its not bad... Could be worse, definitely some rust and some love taps. But over all its not awful.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pick up is for sale if anyone is interested. Has a few issues that i honestly dont want to deal with. Make me an offer if youre serious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts