Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1987 mustang 5.0. When it gets warm in idle the oil pressure needle bounces around, when i take off it works like it should? Can anyone tell me what the problem is. I think it might be a oil pressure sensor or something.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
how far does it bounce

·
Registered
5,556 Posts
run a quart of desil in your oil for a day or two then change your oil... it will clean everything up and proly fix that problem weather its a dirty sensor or blocked oil ports

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
And hope that all of that stuff that breaks free does not collect in the bottom of the oil pan and clog the oil pump suction.

I really don't know if that could happen but it seems that it could.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Then I wouldn't go ape-**** worring about the engine oil pressure quite yet. Get a decent set of aftermarket gauges and compare first. I know alot of the guys on here like the electric stuff but I always go with mechanical, no questions about what's going on. You can pick up a mechanical set (water and oil) at Summit reasonable or even Autozone or PEP Boys, they both carry Sun brand and Autozone usually stocks Auto Meter as well. You can hook up the mechanical oil pressure temporarily in the engine compartment and actually see what's what.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yay!!! I searched for a thread and found the answer. Mine sorta does the same thing. It'll be fine on start up, but once it gets warmed up either while I'm idling or cruising it'll drop down by the L in Normal. During accel it'll go to the middle. 110,000 on the motor all stock.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Ditto!!

Yay!!! I searched for a thread and found the answer. Mine sorta does the same thing. It'll be fine on start up, but once it gets warmed up either while I'm idling or cruising it'll drop down by the L in Normal. During accel it'll go to the middle. 110,000 on the motor all stock.

90 Mustang GT Convertible Automatic O-driver with 109,000. Runs low oilpressure. Guy i bought it told me to use a specific oil filter that has double the capacity and that solves the problem. Engine runs great.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
this is an old thread but since your new its ok.:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts