Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so heres the deal i just bought a 1987 mustang gt off of craigslist for $500 new 5speed trans and motor has been well maintained. but the reason for the so cheap price was that it will not start but will continuously crank. I have spark it has a new coil,plugs,wires,distributor, fuel pump relay and few other small things. from what he said was that he was driving one day then all of a sudden the dash lights started flashing and then the motor cut out hadn't been able to get it started since. he replaced all the things i listed about along with new pitons and rings machined the heads and re-sealed everything one thing i haven't gotten to check yet is the timing i have injector pulse( most of the time sometimes i don't) but then the motor ends up flooding. any ideals that you guys could think of?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know how to check timing I haven't had a chance to even really work on the car yet I was just asking if you guys has any suggestions or if its a common problem . I work 6days a week from 6-6 I can only work on it on the Sunday.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
check the relay for 12 volts on fender apron

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
you might have a fuselink on the starter solenoid bad and it wont start so check that relay on the red wire with the key on

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Does it try to start at all? Start with the wiring. Replace any blown fuse links with the exact same size, no more and no less (solder and heatshrink is best). If the wiring is ok, check the firing order. Should be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 counterclockwise.

Who replaced the distributor? It could be off on the compression stroke. It wont fire. The #1 piston needs to be at TDC and the rotor on the distributor clocked properly.

EFI Distributor Installation and Initial Spark Calibration

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
Did the distributor come with a new tfi module? I know it can be bought with or without the module

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Forgot about the TFI module.

Check the spark again. It can be good at the coil but weak at the distributior, or none at all. Use dielectric grease on the backside before install. You may need to loosen and rotate the distributor slightly to remove the screws. Mark the distributor before removing it.

There are two TFI modules, one for manual and another for auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it try to start at all? Start with the wiring. Replace any blown fuse links with the exact same size, no more and no less (solder and heatshrink is best). If the wiring is ok, check the firing order. Should be 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8 counterclockwise.

Who replaced the distributor? It could be off on the compression stroke. It wont fire. The #1 piston needs to be at TDC and the rotor on the distributor clocked properly.

EFI Distributor Installation and Initial Spark Calibration
the motor will just continuusly crank i could spray string fluid in the intake but no ignition i have not found any blown fuses or fusible links i have pulled plugs and found them covered in fuel and would crank and get spark. i have that exact firing order set up, previouse owner replaced the distibutor after it died on him,im going to look into the timing this weekend when i can work on it in daylight rather than by flash light

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
What relay are you talking about ? The one on the passenger side is for the a/c

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for all the replies they are very usefull i just wish i had more time to work on the car but ill hopfully get it going this weekend and keep yall posted

·
Registered
11,200 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Got it running took a little longer than I would have liked. But at least it's running. The two problems that I had found out were the EEC was fried, and the timing was off

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts