Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i have a 1989 2.3 5speed notch with 67k miles on it
got it cheap but it ran rough (you have to crank it over a good 10sec to start it and it won't start without pumping the gas (which makes no sense being fuel injeceted?) you can only go about 15-30% throttle max or it bucks and kicks something fierce and if your sitting in neutral and smack the throttle down wide open instead of revving up all the way it revs to about 1800-2000rpm and pop's like it's a 2 step rev limiter or something?
when i bought the car i was told it was the cap or fuel filter?

so i put on a new
cap
rotor
fuel filter
copper core plugs
and because the air box was destroyed i installed a spectre cold air intake

and for some reason it's still showing the same symptons just verry marginally improved (id say car was running about 40% before now it's maybe 45-50% tops)

idk what is wrong with it and it's my daily so i need the car running good enough to get better than 10mpg and not have trouble maintaining 55mph on the highway...

so heres my options
figure out whats wrong the the 2.3 and get it running halfway decent
or i had planned on doin a 2.3t swap but im having a hard time finding a parts car (was looking for 87-88 turbo coupe)
so i think the 2.3t is out the window for now but i was talking to a friend of mine last night and he has 2 5.0's
one is carbed with carb and most everything except for the front accessory mounting bracket and the engine wiring harness but the rings are trashed so it's goin to need a rebuild (but he only wants $80 for it)
or he has a fuel injected 5.0 out of a 91 grand marquis woodie wagon
he said he'd pull and sell for me for like $200? (running)

so what would be most cost effective? im on a tight budget but if i can get a fuel injected 5.0 in my notch for say $400-500 can't beat that right? (for the time being i'd be leaving the stock 4cyc tranny in it because i don't wanna swap to auto) and stock 7.5 rear and just taking it easy until i get money for a better t5 and 8.8 rear

also would the computer from the grand marquis be made to work with my wiring harness and still run the 5.0 but in my mustang?
i know the carb'd 302 would be a lot simpler but im concerned about the bill from the machine shoppe and i would assume the older 302 to have less power because it would have the older style truck heads on it right?

sorry for this post i know im jumping all over the place with this post just trying to figure out what im goin to do???
any words of wisdom are much appriciated

·
Registered
660 Posts
I think it's safe to say that if you wanted to work on getting the 2.3 to run right you'd get answers to your questions here, but V8 questions are best answered in the V8 forums.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Try the fuel pump. That will cause similar problems to what youre describing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts