Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, looking for some help.

I have a 90LX 5sd that had a poorly installed adjustable clutch kit by the previous owner. Hoped ripping that out and replacing it would solve my problems but no luck.

There is a constant grinding (like a freaking meat slicer) whenever the car is in motion. Regardless of clutch engaged, gear, or speed. No sound at stop.

When the car starts it sounds like the starter isn't disengaging when the engine turns over, there's a pretty brutal grinding for a second. I'm assuming my flywheel is trashed- is this the the scraping sound i'm hearing? And if so, would a new starter and flywheel be a cure or just be destroyed again by some other root cause?

The trans probably needs a rebuild anyway, it shifts and drives fine but it's got a nasty grind going into 3rd. I'm tired of getting the most expensive possible problems from the local shops and I'm afraid of making it worse by driving it, so any input is appreciated.

The only drivetrain add on I have is an aluminum driveshaft.

Thanks much

·
Exhaust fume addict
1,526 Posts
I would say pull the trans and check it out. Pulling the trans ain't that bad in these cars

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Without being there to hear it, possible problems are pilot bearing, throwout bearing, clutch, and maybe starter. Your best bet is to investigate it if you have any mechanical know-how.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts