Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I'm new to this site. I'm building a 5.0 swapped Mazda Miata. I purchased a 1991 Thunderbird with a 5.0 HO and auto trans. I have stripped the drivetrain, ECU, wiring harness etc. My question is can I use the wiring harness and ECU if I'm using a T5 manual trans. I'm not sure if the harness can be modified into a "hotrod" harness or if I need to go with a different engine management system like Holley or Haltec etc. Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You should be fine. I believe the only connectors that goes to the trans are the backup switch connector and the neutral safety switch. You can bypass the switch nss and the backup switch is probably the same thats on the t5.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
There isn't a neutral safety switch on a T5 if I remember correctly, only the backup sensor.
They do. Regardless if hes using the auto ecu it will be looking for the mlps/nss signal showing that the transmission is in either park or neutral or it wont start. It will need to be bypassed or else it will not start.

I was actually referring to the mlps on the side of the transmission on the aod. It is sometimes called a neutral safety switch but thats only one of its functions.

·
Qwik Enuff
773 Posts
There isn't a neutral safety switch on a T5 if I remember correctly, only the backup sensor.
The T5 doesnt have a nss,but it does havep a neutral gear switch.I dont know if the Thunderbirds and Miatas use them or not,but the (T5) Mustangs use a clutch safety switch & neutral gear switch.The CSS is at the clutch pedal & the NGS is at the T5.The following link details these switches.
NSS/Clutch Pedal Switch Code 67 Troubleshooting

1 - 6 of 6 Posts