Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought the car in February of this year,
I am the third owner. Car is a original calypso green car with all black interior 1429833714484.jpg
1429833696846.jpg

Before I bought the car it was running [email protected]

1429833759558.jpg

I got the car home and immediately had too swap out the factory H pipe (cats were clogged)
I got the car too pass emissions. I then noticed a small coolant leak coming from the right front corner of the lower intake.

1429833617399.jpg

I tore the engine all down too replace the gaskets which then turned into a cam swap. Go figure

I'm now at the point where I'm waiting for my correct size push rods to come in.

I so far have painted my valve covers and replaced the timing chain with the frpp double roller.
1429833808428.jpg

The crossover tube has been welded shut to simplify things.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got the engine back together the 7.050" pushrods I ordered were too long so ended up getting a pushrod length checker from compcams and I needed a 6.800" pushrod 1431117000545.jpg

After checking started assembling the front of the engine and installing my March ac delete kit 1431117050795.jpg

At this point rockers are set 3/4 turn after 0 lash is achieved (torqued too 22ft/lbs)
1431117127220.jpg 1431117135425.jpg

Assembly of the top end which was pretty straight forward, valve covers, injector harness and upper plenum.

Make sure your rockers cover the valve covers.

Here's how the engine looks now 1431117304009.jpg

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1431117345107.jpg

Today I went and purchased 10 litres of oil and 2 filters, tonight the cam will be broken in, as my cam is not a roller cam.

With this you also need to run a zinc additive do too the fact that oil now a days has a restriction on zinc content.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well after I got the car running, my father and I forgot too tighten the camshaft sprocket bolt so this happened 1433793905469.jpg
I bent every single valve and wrecked my cam along with the flat tappet lifters,

I sent my heads out too be checked and I had no valve guide damage or valve seal damage. I had the machine shop do a 3 angle valve job and just stuck with the factory valve sizes on the gt40 cast heads which is 1.54" intake and 1.84" exhaust, the valves I went with are Manley street flow valves. I had my father's friend install them and seat them too the heads to cut down on cost.

The heads I am very pleased with. 1433794165965.jpg

I'm now going back too full roller and replacing my damaged cam with a Ford b303 cam for the time being.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
wow that stinks. good luck with getting it back together and on the road again. I know how fixing one thing leads to finding three others that need fixed. you ought to read my 89 thread. many examples of the same thing lol. anyway again good luck.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow that stinks. good luck with getting it back together and on the road again. I know how fixing one thing leads to finding three others that need fixed. you ought to read my 89 thread. many examples of the same thing lol. anyway again good luck.
Thanks, when it happened it definitely was a kick in the kahunas but lesson learned don't rush. But I now have the heads back on, New cam in, lifters, keepers and timing chain just haven't had time too upload any pictures.

I plan on having it running again this Thursday.

And I will definitely have a look at your thread.

Thank you

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well got my car running and she loud "valve train" I obviously set the preload wrong and rockers up wrong. so right now the top end is off her for the 5th time now.

But here's a picture of how she sits. I haven't had anytime too do any cosmetic work do too the engine and driveabilty issues.

The pony wheels I picked up for $550 cash. I also picked up some long tubes and a March ram air kit for $100 Saturday.

Not sure what the car has in store but I'd love to either do a 4.6 32v swap or a high revving 331 stroker.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well received my new damper, I went with a summit racing brand and you can choose between 50oz or 28oz.

I have a total of 800kms on the rebuild and haven't had a issue yet, there is a slight vibration but I believe it's from the solid motor mounts and worn damper.

Here my most recent picture driving her too work for the second time round.

This weekend I will be checking over all the rockers, just too be safe.

I've had a few good runs with the car, haven't gotten too the track yet but it feels really solid. I'm extremely happy I got this car.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update,

Haven't got much done too the car other than a good detail and some weld draglits (knock offs) 1439410178394.jpg

Next on my too do list is install the msd 6al box a buddy gave too me, which will be done tomorrow or Friday.

That will be it for now because my father and I will be building a 30x30 garage starting in the next week or two.

Then I will really get in depth too this project of mine.

Also here is how the car currently sounds https://youtu.be/zI1g4HGyNFg

I have a set of long tubes too go on over winter and a spare 302 that will be getting stroked too a 331.

Car will also be getting some body work done, I'm going too leave the factory paint but 're-clear it.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ordered my battery relocation kit this afternoon, my original plan was not too move the battery at all but that changed fast because I had no where too mount my 6al.

Plan is battery will be moved too trunk and the 6al will be put where the battery once was.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My battery box came in along with the relocation kit.
Looks like a really good kit, I'll tackle this after the weekend as I'm going camping.

Luckily the battery I will be using doesn't require the battery too be vented too the outside of the car. But I will be needing a external cutoff switch, the location for this I have not figured out yet.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Love the color man! that is my dream car, Calypso notch.....
Thanks man, I appreciate it.

It is also my dream car and once I found it I had to buy it.

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:17 PM ----------

Got a few things done this week.

I made my battery relocation wires.
My autometer gauge cage arrived today to hold my water temperature gauge and oil pressure gauge.

Just need to install everything which will be happening tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Just recently I've been having a issue with rear end shutter under 1500rpm, the 3.73's the previous owner put in were not setup properly, so this Sunday I'll be driving 2 hours away to pick up another 8.8 with a rebuilt posi, New 4.10 gear set and carrier bearings.
All I have to reuse is my axle shafts and diff cover.

While the rear end is out I will be replacing lower control arm bushings "car has Lakewood lower control arms" the uppers are stock, if anyone has a suggestion on good durable upper control arms I'd appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts