Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what the general opinion was when trying to install the front lower control arm bushings with polyurethane bushings?

What do you use to press them out?

I already have the bushings with the metal shell surrounding them and don't want to have to buy the whole control arm.

If any of you have done this before, let me know if it is possible to do yourself.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
from my experience i would replace the whole arm..i havent done the front but the rears i just replaced them. uppers and lowers, and they're not bad in price and they're better than the stock ones by far. My teacher was on a nascar team, professional drag team and has taught the owners of Blow by Racing and Extreme motorsports and thats who gave me the second opinion of just buying aftermarket arms which come with bushing in them..

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
hey i had to do that today in class..it was ridiculous..you will definitely a press or a bench vice..i tried the vice and that didnt work..we had to use a hydraulic press..i do not recommend trying at home..

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I will be doing this same task soon. We are limited to stock front control arms unless we go with coil overs up front from what I have seen. I ordered prothane front bushings and MM says to NOT press out the sleve they sit in on the control arms. It seems to be a general rule of thmb to just use a propane torch to heat up the rubber ones and get them out and make sure to leave the old metal sleve. Then just press in the new bushings :)

·
Resident Headbanger
2,432 Posts
It seems to be a general rule of thumb to just use a propane torch to heat up the rubber ones and get them out and make sure to leave the old metal sleve. Then just press in the new bushings :)
Yup. That's exactly what was needed to be done when I had urethane bushings fitted to my front control arms 5 years ago.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Yup. That's exactly what was needed to be done when I had urethane bushings fitted to my front control arms 5 years ago.
Thanks for confirming :) should e doing mine soon!

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have done the drill and the torch method, I liked the drill and havent had any problems with the prothane bushings. However make sure you jack the control arm up before you tighten the bolts, other wise if you just tighten then with no load and set her down the bushing binds more than they need to. you jack it up and the bushing is already set to ride height (or height with weight on it , and it relieves the prothane bushings. People tend to ignore this alot and they wear the bushing out quicker than they should
(trust me on that part)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts