Modded Mustang Forums banner

1994 mustang gt conv

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  mikeracing 
#1 ·
just got the aluminum drive shaft, tailshaft bushing speedo gears
all to correct a few problems.
a vibration and previous owner changed speedo gears.
the slipyoke was all worn with really deap grooves and instead of buying a slip yoke i got a new drive shaft and doing the tailshaft bushing since i am replacing the yoke and doing the speedo gears to correct the speedo being off beacause the previous owner changed rear end gears any other suggestions

#2 ·
Sounds like you pretty much got a handle on it. You may want to replace the clutch packs in the rear-end if the previous owner didn't during the gear swap.

#4 ·
i had no problems doing it in the car and i will give you a short run down in you would like and i was lucky enough that the rear end was actualy converted to auburn cone type posi.

so for my short of the tail shaft removal pull the shifter out of the car and drive the shift block roll pin straight down this will seperate when you pull the housing i just disconnected the exaust right at the back of the h pipe so that the engine and trans could swing down and had it supported and removed the trans support and unbolted the mount then pulled the 6 bolts or so on the back of the trans and gently pryed the case apart im sorry i didnt take any pics didnt think of it until after i was done. and if you had the rear end gears ever changed this is the time to fix your speedo because its gonna be right there anyways and if the slip yoke is damaged you have to replace that with the bushing or the new bushing wont last thats why i actualy changed the whole shaft because the cheapest i could find a yoke was 70 bucks and for 300 shipped to the door you can have a ford racing aluminum one with new u joints and a new yoke and flange. i did it all on my lift so i dont know how bad it would be to do on the ground definitly a beginner project theres really not anything that is that difficult about it. if any questions when dissasembling just pm me and i will send you my cell and i should be able to walk you through it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.