Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All right, well my Dad just picked up a 1994 Thunderbird LX, 4.6L V8, AUTO from his friend for $100. The car is overall in pretty decent shape minus a dent in the rear end on the driver's side and a window that was busted out (been replaced already). The reason his friend sold it so cheap is because it was his daughters car and they began to have trany issues with it. They were quoted quite a bit to get the tranny rebuilt.

Well, it being only $100, it was a hard deal to not pass up, so my Dad snatched it up. At first the tranny seemed fine, but my Dad never had a chance to get the tranny warmed up. He finally got a chance to get the tranny warm and drive it and he has quickly discovered some issues with the tranny. If you jump on the throttle from a stand still (and get traction, thing has some decent power! :D) it will tach out and won't shift intil 2nd gear until you let off the gas for a few seconds. Also, there will be times when you are sitting at a stop and begin to go (this is when the tranny is warmed up) and the tranny will cause the car to shudder very violently. In order to get the tranny to stop, my Dad floors the car causing the tires to chirp and spin and then the tranny will catch gear and drive.

So we decided we would try and find a used tranny for his car. However, from what he has found out, they only made the transmission for that particular car for two years, 1994 and 1995. It has the button on the side of the stick that turns O/D on and off (I am not sure if post '95's had that or not since I do not own one and have not driven one).

Now to my question, would the mustangs of the similar year have the same tranny? Or did Ford decide to use two different types of transmissions for both cars? Also, can anyone provide me with a model number of some sort of what that tranny is? That way I can actually look for a specific tranny rather then searching for a "1994 Thunderbird Tranny".

Thank You for all help, greatly appreciated.

- Chris

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
sounds as if the intermediate one way clutch is broken. the trans will be a AOD-E (or 4R70W, basically the same thing) Any trans from 94-97 should work and the later models will also work but some wiring has to be changed.

·
RIP Dennis
76,414 Posts
I would just replace the tranny...Either that or a rebuild is needed...My ex's did the same thing and she just replaced it...But I am pretty sure a rebuild would fix ya right up...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Like twist 2 go said the trans is an AODE. It was used in the following cars:

1991–1995 Lincoln Town Car
1993–1994 Ford Crown Victoria
1993–1994 Ford Thunderbird
1993–1995 Mercury Cougar
1993–1995 Mercury Grand Marquis
1994–2000 Ford Mustang

Any of the AODE transmissions from those years should fit as long as you grab one thats off another 4.6.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help and information. My buddy was right, ya'll are cool people. Just one more quick question, the T-bird has the O/D button the shifter, that will hook up with the other transmissions too right? Thanks again!

- Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5LiterJeff...I just looked over your list, and I know the '93 T-birds won't work. My Mom has one, and it doesn't have a button for the O/D. Unless the V8's of that year came with a button on the shifter. Hers has 1,2,D,OD on the shifter.

- Chris

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All right, I understand that. I have yet to even look at his tranny since it is still in the car. What type of markings are there that tell you that it has the O/D cancel switch?

- Chris

·
Registered
260 Posts
Yah I should have mentioned even though those are the years the AODE was available in those model years, it does not mean they had one instead of a regular AOD.

As was already mentioned some 1991, 1992 (and even some early 93) cars have the AOD shift pattern with no OD cancel switch. It doesnt mean those others wont work, they just wont have that switch.

Also be aware there are 2 types of AODE, so not all will fit. Some lincolns and trucks use a one-inch-longer output shaft than the Mustang and other vehicles, even with the same engine (4.6).

Check out these two links they explain things more in depth.

http://www.becontrols.com/tech/ch4usedtrans.htm

http://www.ford-trucks.com/article/idx/0/056/article/Ford_Transmission_Spotters_Guide.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jeff, those links will REALLY help out. Greatly appreciate all help as indicated previously. I will be sure to use this site for any other questions and problems that may arise with the T-birds. Right now we have the '93 V6 T-bird, the '94 V8 T-bird, an '86 Silverado Full Size Bed with a 305 4bbl carb, and my '89 Camaro RS 305 TBI. I really love the truck, it has grown on me severely. But as of late (actually, after driving the '94 one time) I am telling my parents to keep the T-birds and dump the truck (sadly to say). The T-birds get incredible gas mileage. My Grandma has an '88 with the 5.0L in it, GREAT on gas. Not sure what Ford did to those cars, but it works haha. So the T-birds will be staying in our family for a while. Sorry for the rambling on.

- Chris

1 - 12 of 12 Posts